View Vacancy – Communications and Political Officer (BEL21.527)
Our daily work relies on the input of dedicated individuals who engage on many different topics and activities. We seek to employ a diverse range of candidates who bring their own talents and perspectives to the role. We have a strong corporate agenda that ensures we create a positive and inclusive working environment where everyone is valued for their contribution.
The British Embassy in Brussels is part of a world-wide network of nearly 270 Diplomatic Posts, representing British political, economic and consular interests overseas. We are looking for a a highly performant Political and Communications Officer to run (jointly) our UKinBelgium social media channels and provide sound media and political analysis to the Embassy.
The Political and Communications Officer will be part of the Political and Public Diplomacy Team (PPD), which sits at the heart of the British Embassy to Belgium. The PPD team engages the Government of Belgium and provides reporting, analysis and external communications to support a range of UK interests in Belgium, including consular, economic, security, climate change and foreign policy.
This is a challenging, varied and fast-moving job, which requires a significant degree of independent working, contact making and flexibility. As a key member of the Embassy team and working in synch with the other Political and Communications Officer, the job holder will be expected to confidently run the UkinBelgium social media accounts, media monitor in a timely manner and report on ongoing Belgian political developments. The jobholder will need to deal confidently and fluently with a broad range of contacts in the media, Belgian and UK Governments, business and academic circles. The job-holder will on occasions be expected to accompany the Ambassador to meetings with media, Belgian senior officials and Ministers and assist with the Embassy’s wider public diplomacy events.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Monitor the French and Dutch language Belgian media (early starts (e.g. 0800) are required on a shift basis) and contribute to the Embassy’s broader reporting on Belgian political developments, key decision-makers and groups.
- Communicate the Embassy and the UK Government’s work and priorities on the Embassy’s Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn accounts and gov.uk website (on a shift basis), engage actively and innovatively with online communities as the UK in Belgium’s digital voice. Ensure prompt response to social media queries.
- Help with the organisation of media at public diplomacy events and high-level visits to promote UK interests in Belgium including liaising with internal and external contacts such as the media.
- Oversee the public enquiries mail system and other administrative work such as database management.
- Proven experience of running social media accounts: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn;
- Strong IT skills (Microsoft Office / Windows);
- Fluency level of English language both oral and written (minimum of C2 level for CEFR framework*);
- Intermediate French or Dutch language skills in addition to fluency of one;
- Strong team-working skills – ability to work effectively and flexibly in both a small and wider team;
- Have excellent organisational, interpersonal and prioritisation skills;
- Good drafting skills;
- Willingness to work additional hours as necessary (time off in lieu is given);
- Knowledge of the Belgian political system;
- Excellent organisational, interpersonal and prioritisation skills;
- Confident and able to take the initiative and be creative.
- Understanding of the UK political system;
- Spot talent and build relationships with established and up-and-coming political contacts;
- Previous press office experience.
This is a full-time contract for 5 working days (36.25 hours net) per week on an alternating shifts basis (Monday – Friday 8:00 – 4:15 & Monday – Friday 09:30 – 17:15). The position will be filled on a “replacement contract” to cover a sabbatical leave for 12 months depending on start date. It is anticipated that the staff member will return in December 2022. This is only a guide and any possible earlier return or extension to this date would be discussed with the successful candidate.
The monthly gross salary for this position is € 4328.16, (B3) level. In addition, we offer an extensive salary package, which includes a 13th month, luncheon vouchers, pension scheme, optional hospitalisation insurance (subject to monthly employee contribution), reimbursement of public transport and a lot more. We offer more days of annual leave than the Belgian requirements.
Please note that Belgian nationals will be paid their salary gross and are expected to comply with their tax obligations through completion of a tax return to the Belgian authorities. Non-Belgian nationals will receive their salary net, minus the deduction of an equivalent level of Belgian tax retained at source. Further information on this will be given to candidates during the recruitment process.
Staff recruited locally by the British Diplomatic Missions in Belgium are subject to Terms and Conditions of Service according to local Belgian employment law.
The successful candidates will be subject to professional background checks and security clearance.
Passport: officers are expected to be in possession of a passport due to the possibility that they may be asked to undertake business travel.
Visa/work permit requirements: Candidates must currently hold the independent right to live and work in Belgium and be prepared to ensure that right remains throughout the scope of the contract.
Please note that the deadline for applications is 23:55 on the day mentioned in the above field “Application deadline”.
We advise you to allow enough time to complete and submit your full application, since only applications completed and submitted before the deadline will be considered.
Please be aware that the deadline for submitting applications is considered to be the time zone for the country where the vacancy has arisen.
Please be advised that the British Diplomatic Missions will not be able to meet the travel costs incurred when travelling to the interview, nor the costs connected with relocation if offered a job.
*Please note for more information on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages: Learning, Teaching, Assessment levels please click on the following link CEFR. Please bear in mind in case you are invited for an interview your language skill is going to be assessed.