Re-advertisement: Senior Advisor, Climate and Anticipatory Action
Do you want to lead Danish Red Cross into a new era of forecasting natural disasters?
Would you like to be a strong voice in a global network preparing communities for climate change?
Can you see yourself as part of a strong agile team working to meet the needs of vulnerable people in contexts of conflict and disaster based on anticipatory approaches?
The Danish Red Cross (DRC) is looking for a Senior Advisor for our engagement in climate change and anticipatory action. DRC wants to strengthen our work in this area with a specific focus on fragile states and forecasting natural disasters. The position will provide global content leadership on climate change and be the anchor for anticipatory action in Danish Red Cross’ humanitarian programmes.
Your future position lies within the Disaster Management Team in the International Department at DRC HQ in Copenhagen. The International Department consists of 45 HQ based staff and 100 delegates in 16 priority countries. The Disaster Management Team works to support preparedness, anticipatory action and response operations in humanitarian disasters and crises globally. We ensure surge capacity, operational management and response support as well as provide strategic and technical guidance.
The new International Strategy 2022-2025 for DRC is being finalized. The strategy will set the direction for strengthening our engagement in anticipatory action, which means that you will be joining our team at an exciting time, where operational visions outlined in the strategy will be translated into concrete actions.
Your future position
As Senior Advisor on Climate and Anticipatory Action your main purpose will be to drive and strengthen DRCs strategic focus on anticipating and prepare for crises and natural disasters, by mitigating impact and protect lives and livelihoods. You will lead our engagement on within the area in fragile contexts by combining scientific forecasts and triggers with the development of early action protocols and reliable funding mechanisms.
You will work closely with colleagues that have technical knowledge on: Innovative Financing, Disaster Risk Reduction, Preparedness and Response.
Your tasks will include Providing hands-on advice for the operation as well as leading, exploring and communicating on behalf of DRC:
- Act as Subject Matter Expert internally and externally on climate change and anticipatory action
- Lead and support the mainstreaming and implementation of Early warning and Anticipatory Approaches in DRC
- Provide technical guidance and hands-on support (on a distance or in-country) to delegates and DRC Partners
- Lead or assist with development of Project Documents with a focus on climate change and anticipatory action
- Develop and advise on 7-5 days forecasts on weather related emergencies
- Advise DRCs Partners on common anticipatory approaches including integrating early warning/early action into their programmes
- Lead or support (on a distance or in-country) development of Triggers for DRC or Partners supported projects (close link to Early Action Protocols)
- Lead or assist with Partners development of Early Action Protocols in close cooperation with IFRC and the IFRC Climate Centre
- Support the development and implementation of greening initiatives in DRC’s International Operations
- Provide global content leadership and coordination on anticipatory approaches
- Lead the DRC Matrix on Forecast-based action consisting of HQ and field colleagues
- Support internal policy development, promotion and monitoring of Anticipatory Approaches
- Together with colleagues be the technical anchor when exploring possibilities for innovative and new funding modalities related to anticipatory action
- Supervise and coordinate feasibility studies
- Coordinate with and be DRCs entry-point for the RC/RC Climate Centre in the Haag and the Anticipatory HUB in Berlin and other external partnerships
- Engage and expand DRCs cooperation with external Danish partners (Private Sector and academia) on climate and forecasting
- Work with DRCs Country Offices and relevant partners to support capacity building of National Societies on climate change and anticipatory action
Are you the ideal candidate for our team?
We are looking for a professional with strong experience within relevant field. You have a background in the humanitarian sector and have experience with anticipatory action and early warning. You have been working with disaster management in international organizations and have experience from the field. You can lead, communicate and set a strategic direction, but also operationalize, facilitate and get colleagues and partners engaged. You have excellent English language skills.
- A minimum of 7 years of experience in the Humanitarian sector or International Affairs (required)
- Experience working with or for the Red Cross or similar humanitarian NGOs (strongly preferred)
- Experience in leadership and communication
- Expert knowledge in disaster risk reduction, anticipatory action, resilience, disaster preparedness or forecast-based action
- Experience working and leading in a matrixed management structure is desirable
- Experience in communications with donors both on strategically and operational issues
- Experience in proposal writing, project design, and other fundraising methodologies is desirable
- Must be responsible, self-motivated, and have the ability to work independently
- Must be detail-oriented and organized and have strong analytical skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and diplomacy
- Must be able to meet multiple deadlines, and interface with a broad spectrum of colleagues, staff and partners
- Candidate must preferably have strong English verbal and written communications skills
- Must be flexible and willing to participate in conference calls outside of regular business hours, and work remotely if needed
Your future workplace
When you become a part of the Red Cross movement, you become a part of the world’s largest humanitarian organization with 17 million volunteers in 192 countries. We save lives every day, and we equip people with the tools they need to get through crises and disasters. We help people on both sides of a conflict and in the remotest corners of the world, regardless of their religion, race or political views.
In the DRC International Department, we support vulnerable people in more than 30 countries in Africa, Asia, Europe, and the Middle East and have an annual turnover of more than DKK 750 million.
We work specifically on building preparedness and response capacity. DRC works both with long term activities and short-term response particularly within health, PSS, disaster preparedness and response.
We will offer you,
An exciting, inclusive, and driven work environment in the heart of Copenhagen.
The position is a full-time position – 37 working hours per week. The position requires flexibility as up to 2-3 months of travel a year is expected.
You will refer to the Head of Disaster Management in Copenhagen.
Salary and employment conditions will comply with Danish Red Cross’s collective bargain agreement with HK and AC and will be between DKK trin 46,200 – 49,400 including allowances and pension depending on experience and qualifications.
Application and further information
In case you might need more information please contact Head of Disaster Management, Bjarke Skaanning, at +45 2292 9054
Application deadline is 2nd December. Interviews will take place during December. The date of commencement will be soonest possible but no later than 1st March 2022.
Apply the position via the Red Cross home page www.rodekors.dk/job
Expected Start Date:
Bjarke Skaanning, firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information please open this link
Telephone: +45 22 92 90 54