TED Global Idea Search
TED is hosting two global idea searches in 2021 with a mission: to hear big, bold ideas from every corner of the world. A select group of people from each application pool will be invited to give TED Talks, either virtually or in person.
TED Global Idea Search 2021 is now open
Applicants are required to create a 2-minute video as a part of their submission. The deadline for this round of submissions is January, 21, 2021 (11:59pm EST).
If selected for round 2, you’ll be invited to a virtual event where you’ll talk more about your idea and participate in a Q&A with members of the TED community.
Winners will be invited to give a TED Talk, either virtually or in person.
Tips for success before applying
Your “idea worth spreading”
We’re looking for ideas worth spreading — that’s our mission! So… What does that mean? We’re looking for ideas that are new, unique, and can offer an insight or a new way of thinking to a very large audience.
A TED Talk usually has a topic and an idea.
A topic is the high level — the general direction you want to take the talk.
Topic example: We need to fix the opioid crisis
An idea is a specific angle that stems from the topic — a unique message, solution, or insight that only you can share.
Idea example: In the opioid crisis, here’s what it takes to save a life
More examples of topics and ideas:
Topic: Africa lacks access to basic energy sources
Idea: The energy Africa needs to develop — and fight climate change
Topic: Paleontology is important
Idea: Hunting for dinosaurs showed me our place in the universe
Topic: We need more organ donors
Idea: How to create a world where no one dies waiting for a transplant
Questions to ask yourself about your idea
To us, an idea worth spreading can mean several things. Before you submit your application, check your idea against this list — does it check a few of these boxes?
- Does your idea worth spreading offer the audience a unique insight?
- Will your audience learn something brand new? Something they’ve never heard before?
- Will your audience learn about a new solution to a problem?
- TED is not a platform for product pitches. Do you feel confident that your idea is not a product pitch?
- Did you check our massive library? Are you sure we don’t already have a talk about your idea?
What to avoid
Only in rare circumstances do we invite people to speak about a very personal experience or a personal philosophy. Here are some examples of ideas that we would likely not consider:
- How I learned to speak my truth and be my authentic self.
- How to conquer your fears and achieve your dreams.
- Find your passion through unleashing your creativity.
- I had a rare experience and it taught me to face my fear.
- Find happiness using the L.U.V. method: Light, Universe, Vulnerability.
- I traveled to India and it changed my perspective on the stock market, even though I’m not a banker.
Apply for TED Global Idea Search 2021
The deadline for this round of submissions is January 21, 2020 (11:59pm EST).
The next round of submissions will open in June of 2021.
Preparing your video submission
Please make a 2-minute video as a part of your application. You’ll find these instructions with more details on the application form as well.
- Film yourself using good lighting angled towards your face rather than coming from behind you.
- Use a stable camera oriented in horizontal framing (this does not need to be a professional camera — it can be a computer or phone camera), set to the highest resolution. (On most phones, the resolution you want to use is 4k, 1080.)
- Make sure your sound is clear and audible (avoid filming outside, and prevent objects from rubbing on the microphone).
- Your combined answers to the four questions should not exceed two minutes. A good way to plan for two minutes is to write out a script that is around 280-300 words.
- When you are done, upload your video to YouTube or Vimeo and title the video, “your name – TED Global Idea Search”. Make sure the video is listed as “public” or “unlisted” so that we won’t need a password to view it.
For more information please open this link