We host two international flash fiction writing competitions; the Bath Flash Fiction Award, and the Bath Novella-in-Flash Award. Entrants have the opportunity to appear in our print and digital books. We own a small press, Ad Hoc Fiction, which publishes quality books and also runs a weekly micro-fiction contest. In addition, we organise the UK’s annual Flash Fiction Festival.
Flash Fiction Award
What is flash fiction? Read the interview with our judge Nod Ghosh.
Runs three times per year, full details in the rules. In summary:
- 300 word limit.
- £1000 prize for the winner, £300 second and £100 third. Two commendations £30 each.
- 50 longlisted entrants offered publication in our end of year print and digital anthology. Those accepting receive a free copy.
- Flash Award judge, Nod Ghosh, shortlists to 20 and chooses the winning, second, third, and two commended fictions.
- This Flash Fiction Award round closes Midnight GMT October 11th 2020.
- Winners will be announced by 1st November 2020 on our Winners pages.
- Enter the Flash Fiction Award here online.
What is a novella-in-flash? Read the interview with our judge Michelle Elvy.
Runs once per year, full details in the rules. In summary:
- 6000 to 18000 word limit – each flash should not be more than about 1000 words.
- £300 prize for the winner, two runner-up prizes of £100.
- Novella Award judge, Michelle Elvy short-lists then chooses the winner and two runners-up.
- Winner and two runners-up are published as individual novellas. All entries considered for publication. Each published author receives five copies.
- The Novella-in-Flash Award closes on Midnight GMT January 17th 2021.
- Winners announced April 2021 on our Winners pages.
- Enter the Novella-in-Flash Award here online.
Our goal is promote flash fiction for both writers and readers and to bring the genre to a wider audience. Running a three-times-a-year rolling flash fiction award with substantial prizes and chance of publication gives writers a big incentive to create great flash. And our new novella-in-flash award provides the opportunity to have a longer work released in a quality publication.
We curate views, interviews and reviews of all things flash, and in addition to our two main awards, we also run the free weekly eBook micro-fiction challenge, Ad Hoc Fiction. Ad Hoc encourages writers of all experience to practise crafting very short fiction, and actively involves readers by giving them a vote in choosing weekly winning Ad Hoc Fictions. On top of providing the weekly micro-fiction challenge, Ad Hoc Fiction is also our very own small press creating high quality publications such as our first anthology To Carry Her Home: Bath Flash Fiction Volume One.
We also organise and fund the UK’s only literary festival dedicated entirely to flash fiction. The inaugural Flash Fiction Festival took place in Bath in 2017. Our next festival will be held in Bristol on Friday 19th, Saturday 20th & Sunday 21st June 2020. We’ve an exceptional line-up of flash fiction writers from the UK, Ireland, Germany, New Zealand and the United States coming to give talks, workshops and to read their work. There’s plenty of time for socialising, open-mic sessions, a picnic, a raffle and an opportunity to submit your flashes to our third Flash Fiction Festival Anthology. Come and meet your flash fiction friends, and write and read your own work. Flash Fiction Festival booking open now.
The awards are organised by Jude Higgins, with the help of a development team who run our websites and devise new projects. Jude directs the festival, co-runs the international Bath Short Story Award and organises writing events in Bath. She is a writer and writing tutor, holding a Masters Degree in Creative Writing from Bath Spa University.
Bath Flash Fiction Award is self-supporting and not-for-profit. We pride ourselves in our ability to continually develop new ways to promote emerging flash fiction writers and flash fiction in general. If you would like to talk to us further, we tweet @BathFlashAward, can be found on FaceBook, or you can contact us here.
For more information please open this link