Job Title: Finance Controller
Job Location: Mission East HQ: Brussels
Summary of Job: Provision of high-quality finance control in Field office and allocated HQ accounting activities, including donor compliance, quality control, preparations of Budgets, Financial Reports, Accounts, and improvement of finance systems and processes.
To apply: Send your CV and letter of application (both in English) to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the code ‘BXL-2111-FiannceController’ in the email subject line
Closing Date: The closing date for applications is 6th December 2021, 12hrs CET.
With occasional travel to: With occasional travel to Mission East’s HQ and field office locations.
Department / Team Administration and Accounting
Responsible to: HQ Finance Manager
Management of: N/A
Length of contract: Permanent
Hours per week: Full time (38hrs per week)
Salary Scale: This role has been assessed as Level 15 on the HQ Salary Scale.
Background Mission East is an international relief and development organisation working in crisisaffected countries in the former Soviet Union, the Middle East and Asia. We deliver
emergency relief during disasters as well as long-term development assistance. We are based
on Christian values. Mission East works to support vulnerable people and help local
communities lift themselves out of poverty and marginalisation. We work directly with our
beneficiaries or through local and international partners. We constantly strive to strengthen
the relevance, effect, and sustainability of our programmes.
More information on Mission East can be found at: https://missioneast.org
Role Purpose: Provision of high-quality finance control in Field office and allocated HQ accounting activities,
including donor compliance, quality control, preparations of Budgets, Financial Reports,
Accounts, and improvement of finance systems and processes.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities:
As part of a small finance team of 3-4 people, the Finance Controller’s responsibilities will be
carried out in collaboration with both finance and non-finance colleagues at headquarters.
• Control the quality of the monthly accounts for each programme by reviewing field
expenses and balance sheet
• Responsible for ensuring accurate data mapping between field accounting and head office
accounting systems and consolidating field data into the head office system
• Responsible for ensuring the application of Mission East’s financial policies and procedures
across field locations including remote trainings as needed.
• Ensure that all donor financial reporting requirements are complied with and that project
reports are submitted in a timely manner.
• Ensure that donor reports reconcile to Mission East accounts.
• Provide support to each country finance teams to ensure proper accounting and donor
• Together with the field finance teams, develop country and project budgets.
• Support external project audits as needed by collecting and reviewing requested
• Prepare quarterly budget variance reports for program staff and follow-up on project
spending and burn rates
• Provide ongoing support to Finance Director with Head Office Accounting, including
entering income and expense transactions for the monthly accounting closure.
• Responsible to prepare all needed documents for HQ financial Audits
• Support Finance Director in the development and implementation of head office accounting
systems and manuals.
• In charge of the cash and bank payments of the Brussels office
Continues on the next page.
• Carry out other duties, which may or may not be related to the job, as reasonably
Selection Criteria: You will have the following experience, skills, and qualifications:
• Qualified accountant (CA / CIMA or recognised equivalent) with at least two years post
qualification and proven financial management experience
• Experience of NGO accounting and grant reporting is considered an advantage.
• Good personnel management skills, with experience of finance control and provision of
support within a multi-disciplined, multi-cultural team.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with sensitivity to cultural differences and
proven track record in working with distance management.
• Analytical and strategic planning skills and ability to handle multiple priorities.
• Ability to present information and concepts clearly, both verbally and in writing. Fluency in
English, spoken and written required.
• Advanced skills with MS Excel. Proficiency with MS Word.
• Experience in using QuickBooks or equivalent systems and use of MS Access databases is an
• Administrative experience with knowledge of establishing and maintaining office systems.
• Ability to travel to Mission East’s other office locations, as required.
You will display:
• Commitment to the vision and values of Mission East.
• All staff are required to sign Mission East’s Code of Conduct and Child Safeguarding
• This role is based in Mission East’s Brussels office. The successful candidate will be
required to demonstrate their right to live and work in Belgium.
• Mission East upholds high standards in all aspects of Safeguarding. In view of the
nature of this role potentially requiring involvement with vulnerable individuals
(including situations where there are potential imbalances of power), you will be
required to provide a self-declaration and formal certificate of previous good
• Mission East upholds high standards in Counter Terrorism (COTER) and sanctions
regulation compliance. In view of this role’s potential travel to and remote
involvement with our field offices, Mission East will conduct a thorough preemployment background check of successful candidates, including checking through
the SDN sanctions lists.