What we need from you
Please note that you may only submit your application once you have uploaded the following documents to the application form:
- curriculum vitae (two pages max)
- research outline (five pages max)
- complete list of your publications (cf. sample list, PDF)
- list of key publications (cf. sample list, PDF)
- key publications
- doctoral certificate or proof that your doctorate has been completed successfully, or confirmation that this will be the case within the next six months
- German language certificate, if required
- if required: acceptance form and/or publisher’s acknowledgement of receipt and summaries/translations of key publications that are not available in English
- In addition: host’s statement and confirmation that research facilities are available, as well as two expert reviews. Please note that these documents can only be uploaded in a protected area by the host(s) and expert reviewers personally. You can only submit your application once these documents have been uploaded. Further information and explanations can be found on the application form.
As soon as we have received your online application, we will send you written confirmation by email. After reviewing your documents, we will notify you of the expected selection date.
The Selection Committee responsible for reviewing applications to this programme meets every February, June and October. Please send your completed application form, including any additional documents required, well in advance of the desired selection date. Applications are usually processed within four to eight months. Incomplete or inaccurate applications take longer to process and often have to be postponed to a later Selection Committee meeting.
The deadline for meeting certain formal conditions – in particular those relating to limitations on career stages and previous stays in Germany – is the date on which we receive your application.
If your application is successful, you may begin your fellowship between two and twelve months after being selected.
If your application is unsuccessful, we may provide you with reasons for our decision. Please request this information informally by email. You and your host will receive a letter with the outcome of your application approximately five weeks after the decision is made. Decisions cannot be appealed. You can, however, re-apply if you significantly improve crucial aspects of your rejected application. In the case of unanimously rejected applications, you must unfortunately wait a minimum of 18 months before re-applying.