De Beers Group – The world’s leading diamond company
We are the world’s leading diamond company – a unique, luxury business that thrives on the creativity, passion and knowledge of our people.
As we embark on a journey to accelerate the transformation of our business into one that is better positioned to realise the opportunities ahead of us, we welcome and encourage diverse perspectives from those individuals who spark fresh thinking and aren’t afraid to challenge assumptions.
We’ll provide you with the space and support to grow and achieve your ambitions and – working together – you’ll help us realise our own ambition to be the pioneer of a new diamond world.
The primary role of Corporate Affairs is to promote De Beers’ reputation, protect diamond equity and shape an environment conducive to De Beers’ commercial interests. Operating responsibly and being recognized, as a leader in the industry is central to our business model.
Reporting to the Head of Ethical and Sustainable Value Chains, the Governemnt Relations Lead has a key role in driving and implementing a cohesive international relations strategy, focused on both government and industry relations, and supporting contributions to meeting the relevant goals within the Building Forever Strategy linked to Leading Ethics Across the Industry and transparency.
Through deep insight and technical knowledge, you will be responsible for developing and implementing appropriate stakeholder engagement strategies to further DB’s interest with government and industry stakeholders focused on promoting De Beers’ brand and protecting diamond equity.
- Support in-country stakeholder relations/ corporate affairs teams in definition and delivery on Government Relations Plans.
- Liaise with relevant experts to support the development of robust data to inform risk prioritisation and policy trends monitoring.
Governance and reporting:
- Promote knowledge sharing of best practices observed across the Group and from the external environment.
- Responsible for participating in Anglo International and Government Relations governance forums to represent and articulate De Beers interests.
- Responsible for providing timely reports as required to all levels of the business, including:
CEO reports, De Beers and Anglo American internal Sustainability
- Responsible for assessing the effectiveness of De Beers’ positioning and communication on key industry issues and translating that into relevant recommendations to drive engagement strategy with government and industry stakeholders
- Responsible for identifying synergies between stakeholder mapping tools and processes in place across the business (International relations and any other stakeholder identification and analysis)
- Responsible for articulating a coherent plan to support the meet the objectives for the international relations workstream under the Natural Diamond Initiative.
- Understand emerging consumer confidence risks and issues, regulatory changes that might affect consumer confidence and be able to articulate the consequences and impact and provide informed, data-driven and thoughtful recommendations
- Responsible for multi-stakeholder outreach events, including the current series of Diamond Dialogues Series at Group centre, and supporting similar regional events in line with the Group’s commitment to accountability and transparency.
- Responsible for the development of a coordinated, effective approach to stakeholder engagement across De Beers through stakeholder mapping, tracking and engagement-plan development.
- Responsible for the management of the Diamond Discovery Suite and relevant external materials as required.
- Responsible for resource materials for De Beers representation in external forums for managing key value chain risks, including through multi-stakeholder initiatives and forums, global and national platforms.
- Responsible for engaging with government stakeholders, through the World Diamond Council’s Kimberley Process Task Force.
Systems and analysis:
- Accountable for the stakeholder management system (REACH) and for its ongoing maintenance and development, ensuring it is fit-for-purpose and evolving to meet business needs
- Lead analyst on key risks, responsible for developing and articulating a coherent understanding of the divergent and competing interests within the industry on those issues affecting De Beers’ business or confidence in diamonds (government relations and diamond equity perspectives). This includes, but is not limited to, geopolitical risk analysis; socio-economic development priorities in countries; sustainability issues, existing and emerging; and existing and emerging key industry and regulatory issues.
- Responsible for the delivery a clear and relevant analysis of policy issues impacting the diamond industry and monitor regulatory changes that may affect De Beers.
- Accountable for the timely and accurate delivery of researched reports to all levels of the business, specifically reports for De Beers EXCO and Anglo American teams on Government and International Relations, in line with the expectations of these stakeholders.
Undertakes special projects as required
- Motivated self-starter and driven to meet high standards of delivery
- Remains focused in times of uncertainty and ambiguity
- Displays diplomacy, thoughtfulness and empathy in relationship management.
- Strong work ethic
- Committed to the De Beers Values.
- Degree or professional qualification in a relevant discipline essential, with a post graduate degree considered an advantage (i.e. government/international relations/development, law, management, social sciences, economics, etc)
- A proven track record of issue analysis that generates structured and successful stakeholder engagement approaches in a commercial, government, or multi-stakeholder context essential
- 5 years min experience
- Engage and influence at a senior level within the business.
- Willingness to travel
- A great working environment
- The opportunity to develop your skills within a growing company
- Staff discount
- Fantastic pension scheme
- We have 25 days of holiday with the opportunity to buy or sell 5 more days
- Mental health is a top priority for De Beers Group.
- We offer free subscription to Headspace and have mental health first aiders
De Beers Group
We’re the world’s leading diamond company, powered by thousands of people around the world, with a mission to support local communities, protect our natural environment and shape a brighter future.
With headquarters in London and mines in four countries – Botswana, Canada, Namibia and South Africa – we are truly global. Established in 1888, our expertise ranges from exploration and diamond recovery, to rough diamond sales and diamond jewellery retail.
We market our polished diamonds through two brands, Forevermark and De Beers Jewellers, while our Element Six operation is the world leader in the design, development and production of synthetic diamond materials for industrial and electronic applications.
Inclusion & Diversity
We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are. We provide equality of opportunity to enable everyone to fulfill their potential.
Successful candidates will be required to complete background screening which may include a criminal check and validation of qualifications.
Internal Employee Referral
Do you know someone who would fit this role? We appreciate your referrals. If your referral is successful you may be eligible for a reward. Rewards are applicable to De Beers Group internal employees only. For terms and conditions please see the De Beers Group UK referral scheme.
For more information please open this link