European Foundation Centre
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Application Deadline: 15 September 2021
Date Posted: 01 Sep 2021
The European Foundation Centre (EFC) is looking for a Junior Officer to join its programmes team and provide 360-degree support to a portfolio of projects and communities of practice. These projects provide safe spaces for private funders to exchange knowledge and broker collaboration on a wide range of topics covering grantmaking, strategic communications, operations, investments, and strategic learning.
The funding areas and geographies of the involved members may vary; but all share a deep commitment to leveraging private resources to advance the public good and help tackle the great societal and environmental challenges of our time.
This is an entry-level opportunity to join an exciting, mission-driven sector; learn more about its ways of working and impact; grow your networks with philanthropy practitioners and other actors from the broader social change ecosystem; and gain relevant project management, stakeholder relations, and communications skills.
The position requires a well-organised and responsible individual, who embodies an entrepreneurial and can-do approach to work, who will be trusted to progressively take on more responsibilities and help us launch new areas of work.
- Provide 360-degree support to the portfolio coordinator in the research, design, implementation, and evaluation of programmatic activities;
- Prepare engaging communication material (e.g. newsletter, news items) for project stakeholders;
- Help capture knowledge and learnings from project activities, and disseminate among colleagues, project stakeholders, and the wider constituencies of the organisation;
- Research developments in the philanthropic sector and specific issue areas, and feed into the development of future activities;
- Draft meeting notes, briefs, funding proposals, etc.;
- Keep track of project financial data; help prepare financial reports; and assist with ad hoc administrative tasks.
- 1-3 years of professional experience (internships included);
- Keen interest to learn about the philanthropic sector and private foundations;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English (other languages will be considered an asset);
- Excellent team collaboration skills;
- Enthusiastic and entrepreneurial attitude towards work;
- Eagerness to learn about a wide range of thematic and functional areas EFC members are working on;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, good digital skills are a strong plus;
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise;
- Solid organisational skills.
What we offer
- An attractive salary commensurate with experience and extra-legal benefits including hospitalisation insurance, and, after one year, group insurance;
- A monthly public transport reimbursement;
- A contribution toward one language course per year, up to €250;
- An attractive holiday regime in line with Belgian legislation and the European Commission holiday calendar;
- Lunch vouchers;
- A flexible and friendly work atmosphere in a beautiful building in the centre of Brussels.
A bit about us
The European Foundation Centre, based in Brussels, is the platform for and champion of institutional philanthropy – with a focus on Europe, but also with an eye to the global philanthropic landscape. We bring together an international network of 200+ member foundations working in areas as diverse as culture, migration, health, socio-economic development and employment, scientific excellence, civil and human rights, environment etc.
The European Foundation Centre is currently in the process of launching a new, converged organisation with its partner, Dafne (the Donors and Foundations Networks in Europe). Dafne brings together 30 national associations across Europe, representing over 10.000 public-benefit foundations, big and small, who want to make a difference to society. Dafne leads, strengthens and builds the field for the common good in Europe.
Together we will provide a stronger and more effective infrastructure to help institutional philanthropy tackle today’s and tomorrow’s challenges in an increasingly complex world.
How to Apply?
Send your CV and half page cover letter by 15th September 2021 to email@example.com in a single PDF document and mention: NAME AND SURNAME_TN Junior Officer in the subject line.
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, we encourage you to apply as early as possible.
You should make sure that the cover letter clearly answers why are you are interested in this opportunity, and how your skills position you to take on the tasks fleshed out above.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified. Please do not contact the EFC to enquire about the status of your application.