Regional Representative – Asia
Delegat Unit, Røde Kors
The purpose of the regional offices (RO) is to ensure implementation of the international strategy in the region, by establishing and following up regional and country strategic direction through regional and country frameworks. This means that RO is responsible for strategy implementation, ensuring accountability and providing leadership in the region and for supporting country offices (CO) based on strategic direction and overall frameworks from national office. The RO ensures strategic relationship management with all Norwegian Red Cross NS partners in the region, the Federation, and the ICRC, with a focus on regional emergency preparedness and response. The RO furthermore ensures strategic relationship management with donors and external partners and supports CO with grant management. The RO supports and oversees finance management and results management (PMER) in the region in line with established standards and best practices. The RO is responsible for optimal use of human resources by ensuring efficient and purposeful communication and collaboration, including with National office. The RO promotes competency development and ensures efficient leadership and a conducive working environment in the region.The regional representative supports the achievement of the humanitarian objectives in Norwegian Red Cross’ international strategy through strategic leadership of the regional team and resources, and purposeful external relations.
Duties and responsibilities
- Secure implementation of the international strategy in the region, by establishing and following up strategic direction through regional and country frameworks.
- Ensure efficient leadership and promote optimal use of resources by ensuring purposeful collaboration within the regional team, with other regions, and with the National office.
- Oversee strategic relationship management with Red Cross Red Crescent Movement, donors and external partners including further exploring potential new donor opportunities within the region.
- Capitalize on regional opportunities and experiences to further strengthen and develop Norwegian Red Cross’ programmes in the region.
- Develops regional plans of action, approves country plans of action, and follows up on progress through regular meetings and reporting.
- Contributes to the International Programmes and Preparedness Department’s extended management team by informing decision making and following up strategic initiatives.
- Ensures a functional division of tasks and efficient use of resources within the regional team.
- Engages the regional team by providing clarity through individual work plans, anchor decisions, and follows up with expressing positive expectations and holding each other accountable.
- Oversees that country offices have updated security rules and promotes a culture of security awareness and contributes to the Security Task Force as per request.
- Acquires fluency in the understanding of Norwegian Red Cross work processes and digital tools.
- Represents Norwegian Red Cross in the region and coordinates donor liaison.
- Supports the Country Programme Managers in overseeing the strategic relationship with National Societies in accordance with established partnership approach and guidelines.
- Follows up on global strategic agreements with the ICRC and the IFRC in the region.
- Acts as spokesperson for regional developments and supports communication and humanitarian diplomacy initiatives in the region.
- Manages the support and performance management of regional managers.
- Reflect the vision and values of Norwegian Red Cross when interacting with team members and provide leadership, advice, support and effective communication.
- Works towards good collaboration in the region and with other regional teams through deliberate competency development and proactive human resources planning together with National Office. This include providing coaching, mentoring and role modelling of effective behaviour to individual managers.
- Contribute to and represent decisions in the Extended Management Group of the International Programmes and Preparedness Department.
- Liaise with Regional Team members at National Office, particularly Program Finance Coordinator to ensure effective budget control and the Regional Human Resources Businees Partner for optimal human resources planning.
- Engage with Programme Support Team at HQ, technical coordinators and advisors to optimize annual planning and humanitarian outcomes in the region.
- Advanced University degree in a relevant field (public health, public policy, development studies, social sciences, international relations, humanitarian studies, Medical Anthropology studies) .
Skills and knowledge:
- Minimum 7 years of relevant leadership/management experience within the humanitarian field.
- Thorough understanding of the humanitarian landscape, and experience from working in complex and volatile contexts.
- Analytical skills and proven ability to solve complex humanitarian challenges.
- Experience from implementing humanitarian projects at field level.
- Experience with country office start-up, exit, emergency response, nexus and sustainable solutions programming.
- Excellent drafting skills. Proven track-record of successful donor applications an asset.
- Fluency in English. Working proficiency of regional languages is an asset.
- Personal abilities and characteristics including knowledge about own leadership skills/profile will be high emphasized.
- Excellent ability to work towards achieving objectives and results.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Excellent ability to lead and develop people.
- Ability to convince and gain acceptance.
- Ability to be solution oriented.
- Ability to build relations and networks.
Head of Programmes
Position is based in:
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
24 months (6 months probation) with start up as soon as possible.
Why should you apply?
Meaningful: You will be a part of the world’s largest humanitarian organization, reaching the most vulnerable people in their local community.
Impact: You will help National Societies in the region to become strong, self-sustained and accountable humanitarian actors.
Career: You will be connected to an international organization with staff based all over the world.
A great place to work: You will work in a multicultural environment with hard-working, dedicated and fun colleagues with a strong culture of collaboration, continual improvement, and celebration of wins.
Norwegian Red Cross striving to build a working culture based on respect, honesty and generosity.
We do a thorough background check on relevant candidate.