Each fellow will be allocated a faculty member, with whom they will work closely. A diverse range of research projects are available in: Molecular biology, neuroscience, immunology, bioinformatics, RNA biology, stem cells, and biochemistry. The research project will focus on a current topic in the allocated lab. Supported by a member of the laboratory the scholar will be expected to perform experiments, analyse data, generate ideas, and discuss their results. In addition to practical laboratory work the scholar will also take part in lab meetings and journal clubs.
Each year our students organize a retreat at a location outside Vienna. The aim of the retreat is to facilitate discussion about scientific topics related to different aspects of science. This is an opportunity for students to interact on a personal and professional level.
In order to create a friendly environment, the retreat takes place at a hotel or other venue outside of Vienna. It normally lasts two days, during which there are scientific sessions and social activities.
All Vienna BioCenter PhD students are actively encouraged by their supervisors to attend the retreat which has proved to be very popular over the last years.
The Vienna Biocenter Summer School concludes with a scientific symposium. In a short talk each scholar will present her/his findings to students and faculty. Prizes are awarded to the students that give the best presentations.
How to Apply
We encourage applications from students (BA Hons, Master, MSc) from all around the world who are undergraduates/master students, and have completed at least two years of university study in a Life Sciences related study. Please check the relevant criteria below and the link to the application form.
To apply you need to have one of the following:
- Completed at least 2 years of a University study (e.g. 2-3 years of a Bachelor Hons study or 1 year of a Master study – by 30 June) as follows:
- (i) In Year 3 of a 4-year BA (Hons) or BSc (Hons) in a Life Science related subject
- (ii) In Year 4 of a 4-year BA (Hons) or BSc (Hons) in a Life Science related subject WITH an acceptance or intention to apply to a Master program (this will be checked later)
- (iii) In Year 1 of a 2-year Master course, MSc in a Life Science related subject
- (iv) In Year 2 of a US undergraduate Bachelor in a Life Science related subject
- (v) In Year 2 of a 4-Year BTech (india) in a Life Science related subject
- 3-months research experience – Covid update, we understand that some students may not have been able to train/get enough research experience due to the pandemic and we will therefore accept applications that have gained training as part of their studies. Please explain this in your application
- Good academic record
- High level of English language
- Evidence of enrolment in a University programme for the current academic year and the next year (if possible)
- Important information for MD applicants. MDs may only apply if they have completed 3-4years of their studies and have the relevant research experience, they must also intend to study a PhD in a Life Science related subject after completion of their current studies
Interested students should complete the online application form. When applying applicants will be asked to specify the names of three lab heads in their order of preference. While we cannot guarantee that an applicant will be assigned to one of these labs, we will make our best efforts to do so. You will also be asked to detail your educational and research experience.
- Call Opens 1 December closes 31 January (2359 CET)
- Results are published 5 March
- Summer School starts: 1 July
- Summer School ends: 31 August
Dates are subject to change
Questions and Contact
We receive approx. 3000 applications per call for this world-renowned school. Due to the number of enquries we receive please check the Frequently Asked Questions before contacting the administrator. However, if there is a query that cannot be resolved you may contact us here.
Scholars will be housed free of charge in student accommodation. The complex features modern rooms that are internet enabled, fully furnished, and have a shared bathroom and kitchen.
OeAD – Guest House, Simmeringer Hauptstrasse | OeAD-WVGmbH
Simmeringer Hauptstrasse 143, 1110 Vienna
- Free student accommodation
- Each student will be awarded a stipend of 1400 euros after tax for the nine-week programme
- Medical insurance is included in the contract for the nine weeks
- A free travel pass providing unlimited use of public transport within Vienna for the duration of the scholarship
- Reimbursement of travel costs to and from Vienna
- Numerous social events
Applicants will be pleased to hear that the scientific program is complemented by an energetic social calendar. This includes: An opening dinner, visits to famous sites in Vienna, a trip to a heurigen, a final Summer School celebration and our regular Friday evening social hours and other campus activities.
For more information please open this link