Application Deadline: Thursday, 16 December 2021 at midnight (CET)
PICUM is looking for an experienced advocacy professional to lead the creation, implementation and assessment of its advocacy strategy on access to justice and health. The Advocacy Officer will be responsible for the strategy on access to justice to achieve safe reporting for undocumented people who have been victimised and for the further development of PICUM’s work on anti-racism and discriminatory policing and profiling. The Advocacy Officer will also lead the strategy on improving access to health care for undocumented people, encompassing also the determinants of physical and mental health, and the health-related impact of policies that restrict undocumented people’s access to decent work and housing, as well as the damaging health-related effects of migration enforcement policies and criminalisation more generally.
The Advocacy Officer will develop and implement strategies to influence EU policy-makers, as well as relevant member state governments and other stakeholders, to support, develop and implement favourable policy and practice solutions and innovative approaches. This role involves working closely with PICUM members active at local and national level and with a broad range of partners active on issues concerning justice, health and the harmful impact of enforcement policies and discriminatory policing.
PICUM, the Platform for International Cooperation on Undocumented Migrants, is a network of organisations that seeks to advance social justice and human rights for undocumented migrants. Grounded in principles of social justice, anti-racism and equality, PICUM brings together the experiences and expertise of its members, providing a platform to engage policy makers and the general public in the full realisation of undocumented migrants’ rights. Founded in 2001 as an initiative of frontline organisations to mobilise support for undocumented migrants, today PICUM leads a network of over 160 civil society organisations in more than 30 countries.
Based in Brussels, the PICUM secretariat leads the network’s advocacy, alliance-building, communications and research activities at the EU and international levels and supports PICUM’s broad and diverse membership. The successful candidate will be an integral part of PICUM’s team, leading our advocacy and policy work in the areas of access to justice and health, respectively. The successful candidate will work closely with other members of the advocacy team, and under the supervision of the Director, and will also coordinate closely with the communications team.
In the thematic work areas of access to justice and health:
- Develops and implements PICUM’s annual work plan in thematic areas related to health and access to justice, in light of PICUM’s strategic plan and consistent with an intersectional feminist approach;
- Undertakes advocacy towards European Union institutions, Council of Europe and United Nations bodies to achieve concrete improvements in policies and practices by influencing and enlisting the support of policy makers, elected officials, civil servants, intergovernmental and governmental bodies and agencies, funders, strategic partners and other allies;
- Monitors and analyses relevant legal, policy and practice developments, including funding opportunities, within the European Union, Council of Europe, and United Nations institutions, as well as at national level, identifying issues of concern and opportunities to engage for PICUM and its member organisations;
- Supports and works with PICUM members in areas related to their thematic area(s), in particular through organisation of PICUM Member Group and Task Force meetings and support to national advocacy;
- Develops, writes and publicises PICUM reports, policy and position papers, letters, press releases, op-eds, short articles, newsletter items, web materials, and submissions to regional and international bodies in liaison with the Director, PICUM members (in particular PICUM Member Groups and Task Forces), PICUM Communications Officer and Multimedia Officer and other PICUM staff as appropriate;
- Acts as a spokesperson representing PICUM with national, European and international press, with members, and in front of a wide range of stakeholders at external events with different formats, including presenting at conferences and running workshops, as well as in bilateral and multilateral advocacy meetings;
- Develops joint work with institutional, civil society and other strategic partners, including through participation in relevant networks, alliances and working groups;
- Builds networks and alliances with potential institutional, civil society and other strategic partners, as well as potential members and, in collaboration with the Director and Deputy Director, potential funders;
- Influences the research agenda and contributes to general awareness-raising through supporting academic research, working with academic and research partners, participating in educational programmes, and responding to requests for information;
Supervision and coordination:
- Works closely with PICUM staff – including by coordinating with and enlisting the support of the Communications Officer, Multimedia Officer, and Administration and Events Manager – to ensure timely production of outputs;
- Ensures a minimum level of expertise in all areas of PICUM’s work, including to represent the organisation to external stakeholders as needed;
- Works closely with PICUM Advocacy Officers to ensure coordination between over-lapping thematic areas of work and joint analysis, and to provide input, advice and support to others as needed, including through participating in monthly advocacy meetings;
- Strategises with PICUM staff, Board and members, as appropriate, to develop PICUM’s strategic and work planning, including short, medium and long-term objectives, and develop funding proposals;
- Contributes to meeting PICUM’s commitments to current funders, by monitoring and reporting on PICUM’s activities and achievements;
- Ensures activities and outputs are completed within budget and in accordance with PICUM procedures and contractual obligations, seeking input from Financial Director where necessary;
- Participates in PICUM’s governance structures as appropriate, including by providing necessary information, analysis to PICUM’s Board and contributing to the planning and execution of PICUM annual General Assembly;
- Participates, with other Advocacy Officers, in the recruitment and supervision of advocacy trainees;
- Works flexibly alongside other members of the PICUM team to take on reasonable tasks as appropriate over and above those set above.
The required skills, knowledge and experience for this position as well as the remuneration and benefits package are detailed in the full vacancy announcement here.
PICUM is committed to diversity in its staffing, including based on gender, ethnic origin, disability, and lived experience of migration. We encourage candidates with such diverse backgrounds to apply.
The deadline for applications is Thursday, 16 December 2021 at midnight (CET). Please send the completed application form in English to Michele LeVoy, Director at firstname.lastname@example.org, with your last name, first name and PICUM Advocacy Officer Position in the subject line.
The application form can be downloaded here.
Please note that due to the large number of applications and our limited capacity, we regret that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Interviews will take place online in early January 2022.
The traineeships are advertised twice per year on PICUM’s website (around July to start the 6-month traineeship in October and around January to start the 6-month traineeship in April). PICUM cannot accept traineeship applications outside the periods when they are advertised. Please also note that due to the large number of applications we receive, PICUM can only get back to shortlisted candidates.
For Universities Interested in Partnerships:
PICUM has no possibilities to engage in additional ongoing partnerships with universities for internships. However, if you teach or coordinate internships at a university offering relevant programmes such as migration studies, European studies, law, human rights etc., we invite you to share the traineeship programme information with your students.
For more information please open this link