100 PhDs for Africa
The UM6P/EPFL EXAF 100 PhDs for Africa programme is one of the three pillars of the Excellence in Africa initiative. It is designed to fund science and engineering graduates intending to complete a PhD at an African higher education institution.
PhD candidates benefiting from a UM6P/EPFL EXAF 100 PhDs for Africa fellowship will be jointly supervised by a professor employed by their African home institution and by an EPFL professor. They may spend short time periods at the EPFL in the laboratory of their EPFL co-supervisor, but will chiefly conduct their doctoral studies and their thesis research in Africa. Their degree will be solely awarded by their home institution.
Main eligibility criteria
- To be a national of an African country
- To hold a Master’s degree awarded after the 1st of January 2018 or to be enrolled in the final year of the master study
- To have an outstanding academic track record
- To be enrolled in an African academic institution when the fellowship will start, and to reside in an African country for the duration of the PhD
- To have the endorsement of a professor of an African institution willing to supervise the doctoral thesis for its full duration
The programme awards funding of a maximum of 80’000 Swiss francs in total for a period of at most 54 months. Eligible costs include and are limited to:Living allowance
A living allowance for the PhD fellow, which must be in line with the standard documented practices of the home institutionTuition fees
- Tuition costs may be included in the budget if there is written confirmation from the home institution that tuition fees apply for all PhD candidates
- Consumables and direct costs for the use of infrastructure at the home institution or at EPFL
- Open science costs: costs for data storage and for granting access to data (open research data) and open access publication costs
- Conference, summer school and workshop costs for the PhD fellow, namely travel (economy class airfares, public ground transportation), lodging, visa, vaccinations, meals, and (if applicable) conference registration fees
- During the fellowship, the PhD fellow must participate in two summer schools organised by UM6P at Ben Guerir Campus in Morocco. Travel costs for these summer schools will also have to be included
Costs related to joint supervision
- Travel costs for the PhD fellow to and from EPFL (economy class airfares, public ground transportation)
- A supplementary living allowance for stay(s) at EPFL
- Travel costs to and from the African home institution and EPFL for the supervisor and co-supervisor of the PhD fellow (economy class airfares, public ground transportation, lodging, and meals)
- Other costs incurred by the joint supervision (e.g., joint participation in a conference, other costs related to stays at EPFL)
How to apply
Applicants must submit their application with all required documents via the on-line submission platform.
Please read carefully the application guidelines.
Interested applicants must apply on the online submission platform by 20 April 2021 (17:00 CET)
Applicants who are pre-selected will be interviewed by their potential EPFL co-supervisor between the 22nd of June 2021 and the 6th of August 2021.
Results are expected by September 2021.
For more information:
Excellence in Africa
EPFL VPR ENT-R EXAF
CM 2 200 (Bâtiment CM)
CH – 1015 Lausanne
For more information please open this link