The world became new while we were totally unprepared for it.
Before we are given time to think carefully about things,
what we like, dislike, agree with, disagree with,
our once-familiar everyday life continues to change.
So we try to catch up with the changes, and in our rush
many ideas spring up and disappear.
What’s important in product design now
is to try to face the things around us anew.
To take a deep look at the value of continuing to be lastingly and broadly loved.
To end not only with an idea, but to think through every detail,
to be persistent, and give shape to a product.
Any stationery, furniture or tool used in working, learning and living scenes
The competition accepts entries from any corporation, individual, or group that fulfills all the following requirements, regardless of their age, sex, occupation, or nationality.
1. Persons able to make a presentation at final judging (secondary judging) in Tokyo. (March 13, 2021)
* The contest organizer will pay expenses incurred by participants for travel and lodging
(up to two individuals for group entries).
2. Those who consent to these Rules.
* In cases when an entrant is a minor, the consent of their parent or other statutory agent is required.
NUMBER OF SUBMISSION ALLOWED
* Entry eligibility is limited to those designs never before shown publicly (in Japan, other countries).
Grand Prix (one winner): ¥2,000,000 (about $18,000)
Merit Award (three winners): ¥500,000 (about $4,500) per winner
* Special prizes may be awarded.
* Not all prizes may be awarded for all categories if there is no winner selected.
* Prize money will be paid net of withholding tax, surtax for reconstruction funding, and other applicable deductions.
* The amount shown in dollar is that calculated at the time of publication. The prize will be calculated according to the exchange rate at the time of payment, from the amount shown in Japanese yen.
Ryosuke Uehara Masashi Kawamura Tsuyoshi Tane
Teruhiro Yanagihara Yoshie Watanabe Hidekuni Kuroda MESSAGE
The design’s interpretation of the theme
The design’s level of completion
The design’s potential to become a product
ABOUT COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENT OF WINNING WORKS
UNDER KOKUYO CO., LTD.
There are times that KOKUYO will consider the viability of making the winning works
into commercial products.
Winners may be asked to participate in meetings to assess the commercial viability of their products.
More information will be provided to relevant individuals at a later date.
Winning Works adapted into commercial products may be altered (in whole or in part)
as deemed necessary.
Registration through Winner Announcements
Registration & Submission
August 21 – 12:00 (noon) JST on October 19, 2020
Check the entry requirements, and then register your entrant information, design information, and submit your design data using the ENTRY pages on our website.→ Online Registration Form → About Submission
First Round of Judging
Late November 2020 (tentative)
Judgment based on the presentation sheet.
Notification of First Round Results
Mid to Late December 2020 (tentative)
Only successful entrants will be contacted.
Final Judging and Awards Ceremony
March 13, 2021 (tentative)
Judgement based on a presentation featuring the presentation sheet and design prototype.
Announcement of the Winners
March 13, 2021 (tentative)
Winners will be posted on the KOKUYO DESIGN AWARD website after the conclusion of the official announcements.
* Schedule subject to change.
ORGANIZER / SPONSOR
Organizer : KOKUYO Co.,Ltd.
Sponsor : Design Magazine AXIS
For more information please open this link