Strenghtening Civil Societies
With the CCP Fellowships, the CrossCulture Programme (CCP) funds around 100 professionals and committed volunteers from 42 countries each year. During two to three months of practical training in host organisations in Germany or in CCP partner countries, participants deepen their expertise and acquire intercultural skills. In turn, the host organisations benefit from the expertise, regional knowledge and networks of the CCP fellows. The participants then bring their experiences gained abroad into their everyday working life when they return to their home organisation.
In case of ongoing travel restrictions due to the Covid-19 pandemic, there is the opportunity to participate in the CrossCulture Programme as a remote fellowship holder. The final decision on the implementation of the fellowships (professional residence in Germany or “remote fellowship”) will be taken in accordance with the Foreign Federal Office in spring 2021.
Whom Is the Programme Designed for?
Fellowships are principally awarded to people working in one of the following fields:
- Policy and society
- Media and culture
- Human rights and peace
- Sustainable development
In addition, from 2019 to 2023 Civic and citizenship education and Digital civil society will be the focus for those interested in applying for compatible host organisations.
Civic and Citizenship Education
Civic and citizenship education provides both young people and adults with the knowledge and skills that enable them to shape society. Against the background of current challenges such as populism, fake news and hate speech, non-formal political education, especially in connection with digital media, is gaining in importance for an active and democratically organised civil society. People working in civic and citizenship education and pursuing goals in the fields of work listed above will be supported with these key issues.
Digital Civil Society
Digitisation refers not only to technical innovation, but also to fundamental societal, social and political change that proceeds at a rapid pace. In this context, civil society actors are confronted simultaneously with new challenges and new opportunities. The digital divide that arises between population-groups is an omnipresent challenge of digitisation. At the same time, civil society actors are using digital tools to strengthen the inclusion of marginalised groups. CCP aims to support people facing the challenges of digitisation and using its opportunities for the benefit of the wider society.
Countries currently participating in the programme are: Algeria, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Germany, Guatemala, Haiti, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Malaysia, Mauritania, Mexico, Morocco, Oman, Pakistan, Palestinian Territory, Qatar, Republic of Moldova, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan.
What Does the Funding Include?
First and foremost, this programme provides financial support for the fellowship recipients. ifa covers the following costs for
Fellowship Recipients from Abroad:
- A monthly allowance of 550 euros
- Roundtrip airfare
- A monthly ticket for public transport within the place of residence
- A refund of applicable visa fees
- Health insurance
Scholarship Recipients from Germany:
- A monthly allowance of 1,100 euros
- A refund of roundtrip airfare
- A refund of applicable visa fees
- Health insurance
Noprovisions will be made for travelling with family members such a spouse or children. ifa assumes no costs or responsibility for other persons beyond the fellowship recipient.
What Are the Prerequisites?
- The applicant must be between the ages of 23 and 45 at the time of the application.
- Good written and spoken English skills.
- At least two years of proven professional experience or volunteer work in a civil society organisation in the country of origin.
- The applicant is in good health for a longer stay abroad.
- The applicant has been and is socially engaged for the long-term.
- The applicant can prove full-time experience in his or her field of work.
- A collaboration with an organisation in the target country is in progress or planned.
- The applicant possesses other language skills, particularly, German language skills.
Exclusionary Criteria for the Application
Students cannot participate in the programme.
Application in 3 Steps
- Open the ifa application portal and select the fellowship of your choice.
- Complete the application form and upload your documents. Since the application system cannot cache any input, all documents should be ready for the upload at the start of the application.
- Submit the completed application online via the application portal.
Incomplete applications, applications sent by email and applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
What Application Documents Are Required?
- Curriculum vitae in English with details about education/training, work experience, volunteering and other skills
- Letter of motivation
- Letter of recommendation from the applicant’s home organisation/workplace in the applicant’s country of origin, for example from a supervisor
- Photo is optional
The next call for applications for CCP Fellowships for the year 2021 will start on 1 November, 2020. Deadline is December 15th, 2020.
What Happens after Applying?
After the documents have been sent through the application portal, all applicants will receive an acknowledgment of receipt by email.
Selected candidates are invited to an interview at the Embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany. When possible, ifa employees will also take part in the interview alongside representatives of the embassy. In exceptional cases, the selection interviews will take place by phone or via Skype.
Candidates who have been accepted to the programme will be informed by email prospectively by the beginning of March. Rejections will be sent without further explanation by email.
Documents to Download
For more information please open this link