The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA) is an intergovernmental organization that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. International IDEA’s mission is to support sustainable democratic change by providing comparative knowledge, and assisting in democratic reform, and influencing policies and politics. International IDEA acts as a catalyst for democracy building; by providing knowledge resources, policy proposals and supporting democratic reforms in response to specific national requests.
International IDEA’s Regional Europe Office (REO) fulfils a representation role to the European Union (EU) institutions, its Member States (MS) and partners in Brussels. In 2021, it established an EU-funded project, “Supporting Team Europe Democracy – Strengthening Democracy evidence and Communication around the Summit for Democracy”. The project focuses on building democracy data for Team Europe Democracy and communication. It also aims at fostering civil society engagement in the Summit for Democracy hosted by the US Government and taking place in December 2021 and 2022 and throughout the Year of Action. It promotes a “Team Europe Democracy” approach in view of the Summit.
Through this project, activities will be implemented to facilitate dialogue, and mobilize civil society to engage and participate in the Summit. It will also contribute to the defining of inclusive commitments for the Summit for Democracy and to monitoring its outcomes and the implementation of commitments.
In the course of 2022, project activities will include at least: i) the development of an analytical report on Summit outcomes and organization of a post-Summit dialogue event; ii) organization of Team Europe Democracy Dialogues with civil society to align visions on democracy and Summit outcomes, shape the ambition for the second Summit and the implementation of Summit outcomes, and discuss key topics such as countering democratic backsliding and global democratic renewal; iii) the development of a stocktaking survey focused on targets for the Summit and democracy support practices; iii) development of a handout paper for the second Summit to guide Summit preparations and including participation based on evidence and civil society priorities; iv) building and conducting communication activities around EU’s contribution to the Summit and Summit outcomes, including the organisation of a Summit side event; and v) the maintenance of a promotional and interactive European Democracy Support Network portal to promote civil society engagement in the Summit for Democracy.
The Programme Officer will be responsible for supporting the Programme Manager in the overall implementation of the Project. S/he will coordinate or support the planning, design, implementation, facilitation, communication, quality assurance, and reporting of all related activities.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Implements projects under the assigned project throughout the project life cycle, including implementation of International IDEA activities and delivery of Project outputs to the fullest extent, funding and budgeting to project assessment and accountability; participates in meetings and discussions, supervises publications and input from external providers;
- Supports the Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) component of the project, ensuring adherence with International IDEA’s M&E results framework;
- Supports the Programme Manager in monitoring the project’s budget and grant management, and helps to ensure that financial planning supports the delivery of the project’s results in accordance to EU and IDEA’ s financial regulations;
- Ensures strategic and timely communication and management of project-related progress, reporting to International IDEA’s Regional Europe Office and DG INTPA. Supports the close coordination with relevant EU services on project implementation and reporting;
- Maintains and develops relevant professional contacts and networks of cooperation, including with stakeholders to the Summit for Democracy, democracy practitioners, policy makers, academics and the international community, both in Brussels and other capitals;
- Develops communication and promotional activities in the framework of the project;
- Regularly monitors and reports on important democratic developments to inform project design and project interventions;
- Undertakes representational functions as delegated;
- Collaborates closely with relevant International IDEA colleagues in Stockholm, Washington and elsewhere, who are involved in other Summit for Democracy activities that International IDEA implements outside of this project; Collaborates with researchers and consultants, and provides guidance to interns.
- Combines in-depth knowledge of democratic development, acquired through academic achievements, excellent skills including project management skills, communication skills and relevant experience in their field;
- Will contribute significantly to assigned projects all along the project life cycle, i.e. from project design and funding to project assessment; will lead meetings and discussions, supervise publications and review input from external providers;
- Good understanding of EU democratic and policy frameworks, EU rules and guidelines on the implementation of grants and EU Member State democracy assistance policies;
- Deep understanding of political processes, general theory and practice of democracy;
- Has in-depth knowledge and extensive work experience in project management in the areas of democracy and governance;
- Has contributed to publications on their relevant subject; is recognized as a knowledge resource in his/her broad professional community; follows latest democracy trends and has a natural thirst for innovative ideas in the field of democratization.
- Can work with minimal guidance and supervision;
- Adds value to team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model or mentor for less experienced colleagues;
- Can be expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’ s core values; Respect, Integrity and Professionalism.
- Head of Programme, Regional Europe Office.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Possesses strong analytical, writing and communication skills, including the ability to produce high quality reports and other documents related to the project and development of promotional activities and presentations;
- Liaises to all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her project; acts and is perceived as an initiator of relevant communication to solve issues;
- Possesses advocacy and diplomatic skills;
- Drives project and assignments through communicative personal energy and engagement;
- Can explain sensitive information with diplomacy, and build consensus;
- Is able to present his/her activities and represent International IDEA effectively in all professional circles.
- Fluency in written and oral English is required: in-depth knowledge of French and any other widely spoken European language would be an asset.
Education and Experience
- University degree in political science, law, international relations, public administration or other related discipline;
- Minimum of five (5) years of relevant experience in the implementation of projects in the field of democracy and governance support;
- Knowledge of democratic development and democracy assistance;
- Experience mainstreaming gender in project activities;
- Has extensive experience in one of International IDEA’s Key Impact Areas (electoral assistance, political participation and representation, constitution building);
- Good knowledge of the EU institutional framework, EU democracy action and related procedures, guidelines and practices; experience implementing EU-funded projects is desirable;
- Experience with liaising with EU and Member States; and with policy discussions among Member States and the EU.
Terms of Contract:
- International Post
- Fixed-term appointment until 31 March 2023
- Remuneration – EUR 4 581 per month + benefits
Applying for this position:
Applications should be submitted no later than 23:59 (CET) 3 February 2022.
Please note that all applications must be made in English.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.