Deadline: 14 November 2018
Open to: citizens of Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Moldova, Russia and Ukraine
Fellowship: JST covers the costs of return economy flights from a Fellow’s home country to the UK, a visa if required, accommodation in the UK, travel within the UK in accordance with the final programme, and daily subsistence for the duration of the UK programme. All costs related to the workshops, visits, meetings and sessions in the UK are covered by the Trust. Please note: Fellows are responsible for the cost and provision of their own medical and travel insurance during the UK programme and need to obtain this prior to arrival in the UK.
The John Smith Trust seeks to promote good governance, social justice and the rule of law by nurturing a new generation of leaders committed to making a difference in their countries and societies.
The John Smith Trust was formed in 1996 to provide a permanent memorial to one of Britain’s best-loved politicians with the aim of honouring him by promoting the ideals he held dear. A registered charity, the Trust is actively supported by all the major parties in the UK, and a broad range of individuals and organisations across the public, private and third sectors.
The JST Fellowship Programme is a unique and potentially life-changing opportunity. It offers exceptional individuals the chance to explore issues of good governance, social justice and the rule of law in an intensive four-week programme in the UK. It gives participants the chance to explore their leadership styles, and develop key skills.
It includes a week in Scotland and three weeks in London. Fellows participate in workshops, debates and visits with senior leaders and high-level experts. Each Fellow also has a programme of placements and meetings tailored to their particular area of interest, which is reinforced by follow-up mentoring and support.
Those who successfully complete the UK programme become part of the distinguished network of JST alumni of over 500 Fellows spanning over 20 countries. The JST Fellowship is for life.
In order to be considered eligible to apply, you must fulfill all of the following criteria:
- Speak and write fluent English (preferably having already studied or worked in English).
- Demonstrate your potential as a leader in your chosen professional field, committed to the positive future development of your country.
- Demonstrate a clear professional interest in the areas of good governance, the rule of law and/or social justice and a general interest in all three.
- Propose an Action Plan addressing a policy or organisational issue of importance in your field of work which you intend to implement on return to your home country, and which will be informed by your experience in the UK.
- Be prepared to make a substantial commitment if selected as a Fellow: to be available for a four-week full time residential programme in the UK and to participate actively in
Call for Applications, John Smith Trust Fellowship Programme 2019 Call for Applications, John Smith Trust Fellowship Programme 2019