The European Climate Foundation (ECF) was founded in 2008 as a major philanthropic initiative to help tackle climate change by fostering the development of a low-carbon society at the national, European and global level.
We support over 500 partner organisations to carry out activities that contribute to the public debate on climate action, drive urgent and ambitious policy in support of the objectives of the Paris Agreement and help deliver a socially responsible transition to a net-zero emissions economy and sustainable society in Europe and around the world.
As towns, cities and countries around the world declare climate emergencies, seas rise, forests burn, glaciers melt, increasing numbers of people take to the streets demanding urgent action and our societies begin to wake up to what the science has been saying for many years, there has never been a more important time to be working on climate change.
The ECF is currently accepting applications for an enthusiastic and highly driven individual to join the France strategic communications team as Digital Associate within an international network of communications professionals in the field of climate and energy, working alongside ECF.
Team members deliver strategic advice, communications and outreach support to partners and work as part of a global network of communications experts to enhance the public debate on climate change and its solutions on a broader level. The successful candidate will use social and digital media to build and sustain engagement with key audiences in France.
This is an exciting opportunity for a digital communications specialist with the ambition to make a difference and play an active role in helping speed up the transition to climate neutrality and helping to avoid the worst impacts of global climate change.
- Initiating, designing and implementing digital strategies that aim at shaping French public opinion in support of climate action; influencing policy-making in France; and/or neutralizing disinformation online;
- Devising and executing digital strategies around specific international events or campaigns (e.g. report launches, EU decision making moments, UN climate conferences), with the support of an extensive network of communications professionals spanning five continents;
- Using online advertising tools to drive and deepen engagement for target audiences;
- Conducting content testing to determine which messages drive engagement;
- Creating written and visual content for different social media platforms, directly or through external providers;
- Advising partners on digital marketing activities, and working alongside a global team of digital communications specialists to provide bespoke solutions
- Using monitoring and social listening tools to follow and analyse the climate debate in France;
- Maintaining websites and use tools like Google Analytics to assess how visitors are interacting with them;
- Building relationships with other digital campaigners in the climate field and developing project ideas;
- Reporting on the impact of digital campaigns in a way that’s actionable and understandable for non-digital members of the team;
- Other ad-hoc research work.
- Proven experience in the field of digital communications, ideally with an advocacy/campaign background; knowledge of energy, environmental and/or climate issues is not a must, but an advantage;
- Knowledge of trends in the use of digital tools to engage different audiences and enthusiasm to learn more;
- Ability to efficiently brief external consultants or agencies to design impactful content. Basic graphic design, photo and video editing are an advantage;
- Excellent understanding of social media landscape in France across a wide array of platforms;
- Strong sense of storytelling, and how narratives can help advance the political agenda towards climate-friendly policies;
- A solid understanding of the French political landscape; understanding of French diplomatic and international relations is a plus;
- Experience with data-driven digital marketing desirable;
- Genuine interest in the mission and values of the ECF;
- Superior French written and verbal communications skills;
- Very good English written and verbal communications skills as it is the working language of the organization;
- Ability to work both in a team and independently;
- Fast-learning self-starter who enjoys the freedom to propose new ideas and try new approaches, comfortable to work in a fast-paced and wide-ranging work environment and work across time zones, phone/video conferencing, etc.;
- The disposition to work with colleagues in a high-trust global community of peers with a spirit of generosity and mutual support;
- A commitment to an inclusive and empowering approach to facing climate change.
What we offer
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
- A flexible work environment in a network committed to empower and encourage professional growth for its members, and that provides a space to develop and challenge yourself;
- The opportunity to improve your digital skills through working with a team of experts in the field;
- A sense of satisfaction from contributing to the global climate debate;
- A full-time position with a permanent employment contract.
Paris is the preferred option. We could also consider candidates located elsewhere in France, provided they are able to regularly travel to Paris for team meetings.
Due to office restrictions, we may ask the candidate to work primarily from home. Occasional office space will be available.
You must have the right to work in France. We are unable to provide support for work permits.
As soon as possible
How to apply
Please upload below:
2. short cover letter expressing your motivation for this role
3. both in English!
Please note only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
All applications will be treated confidentially. We will store your information in our internal database unless you specifically request otherwise.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion in our organisation. We strongly encourage candidates from historically disadvantaged or marginalised groups to apply.
For more information please open this link