Capacity: Full time
Contract Duration: December 2022 – November 2023 (with the possibility of extension)
Remuneration Range: EUR 36,000 – 38,000.00 per annum
Reports to: Global Lead – Big Shift Campaign
Deadline: 8 January 2023, 23:59 UTC
Are you passionate about ending the era of fossil fuels? Do you have experience campaigning on fossil fuels and/or related climate or energy issues? Would you like to drive campaigning on public finance and gas with Big Shift Global members and allies across the world? More information and how to apply below.
Climate Action Network (CAN) is a global network of more than 1,800 civil society organisations in over 130 countries driving collective and sustainable action to fight the climate crisis and to achieve social and racial justice.
CAN members work to achieve this goal through information exchange and the coordinated development of NGO strategy on international, regional and national climate issues. CAN has regional and national network hubs that coordinate these efforts around the world.
Our work is challenging and exciting and we love what we do. To join our team you need to be passionate, results-oriented and have a positive attitude.
The Big Shift Global (BSG) Coalition has over 50 members from across the globe working to hold the multilateral development banks and occasionally other public finance institutions to account on ending fossil fuel finance and shifting it to sustainable renewable energy to ensure realization of SDG7 – universal energy access.
This position sits in the CAN Building Power Department. This department houses different campaigns including the Big Shift Global campaign. The Platform of Action on Renewable Energy also sits in this department and will also coordinate with this position.
CAN is seeking a Gas Campaigner for the Big Shift Global Campaign to bring together the work focused on ending public finance for gas. The Gas Campaigner will work within the Building Power Department of Climate Action Network and will report to the Global Lead – Big Shift Campaign as well as the Big Shift Steering Group. The position will also work with colleagues outside of CAN in the Big Shift Global Coalition and beyond involved in key campaigning to end public finance for fossil fuels and demanding public finance for renewable energy solutions including those working on the Glasgow Statement on Clean Energy.
With wins on finance for fossil fuels (but still work to be done) we are scaling up our work on fossil gas which is appearing frequently as a loophole for continued public financing of fossil fuels (including in the Glasgow Statement on Clean Energy, in the 2021 ADB energy policy, in the World Bank CCAP and in the actions of many other MDBs and IFIs). Gas makes up over 50% of remaining international public finance for fossil fuels, and these flows are particularly influential for getting key expansion infrastructure like LNG terminals and pipelines built. This post is expected to expand and coordinate the work to end public finance for fossil gas and support work to debunk the myth that fossil gas is a bridge fuel or that it is the answer to the current energy crises in Africa resulting from lack of energy access or in Europe and beyond resulting from Russia’s war in Ukraine.
- Support joint development of a coalition campaign strategy on public finance for gas
- Develop and implement the Big Shift campaign on gas e.g. stunts, petitions, etc. in close cooperation with other members of the BSG Coalition
- Support the development of digital and offline communications materials like briefings, blogs, info graphics and op-eds in close cooperation with communications colleagues
- Support coordination of BSG Coalition member advocacy on ending public finance for gas.
- Build relationships with partners inside and outside of Big Shift already working on gas (including campaigns like Don’t Gas Africa) as well as on the solutions side to facilitate coordination, identify gaps and increase collective capacity.
- Assist with management of the BSG website and social media channels – posting relevant campaigning information and reports to the different channels
- Support coordination of policy submissions and other relevant publications
- Liaison with relevant stakeholders like Bank staff, Eds
- Support annual planning, fundraising and reporting for the BSG campaign and CAN-I in general
- Provide support to other campaign processes in CAN-I as requested by Head of Building Power department
Job Related experience & knowledge:
- Minimum 3 years of experience in development and/or environment sector
- An understanding of international debates and policies around the fossil fuel industry, public financing of fossil fuels and energy access
- Previous work on fossil fuels and particularly fossil gas and public finance are an asset
- Demonstrated ability to translate key messages from technical information, and communicate them to different audiences.
- Experience with international coalitions and/or regional coalitions in the Global South and environmental or other related campaigns, with a strong preference for experience related to fossil fuel/energy issues.
- Excellent interpersonal skills including with diverse colleagues in a predominantly digital environment
- Excellent organization, attention to detail and planning skills
- Self-driven, organized and ability to work remotely
- Experience of working with large networks and coalitions and working with diverse cultural backgrounds is vital.
- A fun and positive attitude are key.
- Advanced knowledge of: Microsoft Office, Google Drive, Drupal CMS, social media and Skype.
- Experience of Drupal would be a bonus
- Familiarity with using online organizing tools
- Ability to effectively communicate in written and spoken English; Other language skills will be a bonus.
- Reliable internet access.
- Strong identification with CAN’s values including but not limited to transparency, honesty, inclusiveness, empathy, solidarity and respect.
- Ability to travel internationally up to 20% of the time.
- Candidates from the Global South are encouraged to apply.
● Send a motivation letter and CV as one PDF file to :
email@example.com, with subject line:
Big Shift Global Gas Campaigner.
● The deadline for applications is 8 January 2023, 23:59 UTC.
● Please, no telephone inquiries. Based on the expected large interest in this position and limited capacity, only candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.
● CAN is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to make positions accessible to all regardless of race, nationality, ethnicity, age, disability, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or identity, religion, marital or parental status, etc.
For more information please open this link