About the role: This is a 24–36 months (renewable), replacement role based in Bangui with a salary of Grade 7 €53,197 – €65,020
You will report to the Regional Director and will line manage all staff in country (team of more than 150 staff), including 6 direct reports. We would like you to start in November 2021.
Your purpose: Concern has been operating in Central African Republic (CAR) since 2014 and is currently working in the sectors of health, nutrition, WASH, food security & livelihoods as well as conflict resolution, DRR and gender equality across four prefectures. Concern is part of a consortium of European NGOs working on economic development and recovery in the East. Concern has secured long term funding to implement an Integrated development programme to address the problem of extreme poverty and vulnerability in the Centre (Ombella M’Poko, Lobaye) and carries out humanitarian programming in the East (Ouaka, basse-Kotto).
Within this dynamic working environment, expanding team and increasing portfolio of programmes and donors, you will have overall responsibility for the strategic development and management of the Concern country programme in CAR. You will ensure that the programme meets objectives as set out in the Country Strategic Plan, annual plans and programme proposals. You will also ensure that the country programme is in line with Concern policies, procedures and the Core Humanitarian Standard. You will lead the Senior Management Team and represent the organisation with government, donors, UN and other international organisations.
You will be responsible for:
Leadership & Strategic Direction:
- Leading the Senior & Country Management Teams and ensuring participative decision-making processes
- Leading by example and supporting the Concern team to achieve organisational outcomes
- Ensuring staff capacity, organisational structures and programme approaches are fit for purpose and able to effectively deliver strategic organisational goals
- Engaging with major organisational advocacy issues, providing support and leadership for key strategic campaigns.
Risk Management & Accountability:
- Ensuring optimal use of financial resources, managed in a transparent and accountable manner, consistent with Concern’s and donor policies, systems and procedures, delivering quality results and demonstrating value for money.
- Responding robustly to any suspicions or reports of fraud, safeguarding or code of conduct abuses or other misdemeanours, and adhering to Concern’s policy and procedures on investigations
- Ensuring Concern complies with all relevant national legal and administrative requirements
- Identifying all risks and implementing mitigating measures in conjunction with the Senior Management Team.
- Ensuring a functioning Complaints Response Mechanism within all programmes and offices
- Ensuring all staff are aware of and adhere to the Security Management Plan and security procedures
- Establishing and maintaining effective security management systems to meet agreed standards
Programme Development & Implementation:
- Ensuring adequate financial resources for continual programming in country, and engaging actively with in-country and regional donors.
- Supporting the Programme Director to ensure programmes are designed, implemented, monitored and evaluated in line with Concern Worldwide policies, incorporating a results-based management approach
- Enabling an organisational culture that supports effective learning, sharing and continual improvement of programme quality.
Support Systems & People Management:
- Supporting and guiding the Systems Director and Country Financial Manager to ensure effective and efficient HR, administrative, logistical and financial support is provided to staff and programmes of Concern Worldwide.
- Supporting the Country Financial Manager in budget preparation, revision and monitoring; ensuring that budget holders actively manage their budgets and prepare accurate budgets in line with the annual plan.
- Ensuring that Concern’s IT systems provide efficient and effective communication and data management for the organisation, linking with Concern Worldwide systems.
- Supporting and guiding the Systems Director and HR personnel to ensure there are competent and empowered human resources, in a fair, diverse and efficient workplace
- Ensuring the National HR Manual and HR policies are in line with organisational and national legal requirements and all staff are aware of and comply with these.
- Undertaking initiatives to ensure a good working environment and team spirit so Concern is perceived as an employer of choice for national and international staff.
- Ensuring job requisitions are prepared on a timely basis for international positions
- Ensuring staff Performance and Development Review’s (PDRs) are undertaken for all staff with appropriate training, development and career opportunities identified and budgeted.
Representation & Networking:
- Creating a strong and visible profile for the organisation, as a leading actor in the fight against poverty and the implementation of resilience programming.
- Communicating information regarding Concern and its programme at National level to Government, Donors and INGOs, alliances and networks across a range of fora.
- Engaging appropriately with the media to ensure that Concern’s values, vision and programmes are highlighted.
- Representing Concern Worldwide in strategic national and international meetings;
- Ensuring relationships and formal agreements with the government are maintained and updated.
Your skills and experience will include:
- Relevant post graduate qualification
- Three to five years’ experience in a senior position with an international NGO
- Management of diverse and multi-sectoral programmes
- Management of a diverse team of senior staff
- Previous work in a similar context
- Management of systems and finance functions, including knowledge of donor compliance
- Management of security and safeguarding
- Working with major international donors and securing external donor funding.
- Knowledge and experience of incorporating key cross-cutting approaches across programmes
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and a confidence to engage and represent Concern at public fora, media and donors
- Excellent teambuilding and mentoring skills
- Delegation, time management, planning and prioritization skills
- Computer literate and good knowledge of Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- Excellent spoken and written English and French
- Empathy with Concern’s mission, vision and goals, and with our target group
We would also like you to be:
- Flexible, honest and reliable
- Culturally sensitive and empathetic to others
- Able to work under pressure and to strict deadlines
- Able to maintain a positive approach and sense of humour