We’re Hiring: Director of Policy and Programs
Bellingcat is a novel organisation that operates at the intersection of digital investigative journalism, online community-building, advocacy and the quest for accountability. Since its inception in 2014, it has uncovered many high-profile and widely publicised crimes, which has turned Bellingcat into a household name internationally. As the organisation and its exposure grows and develops, so do the managerial challenges it faces. For this reason, the Executive Board intends to expand by adding a Director of Policy and Programs who would act the Chair of its Executive Board.
- Vision/mission/strategy: Together with the leadership team, refine and adjust Bellingcat’s strategy to support its mission and create a vision that ensures Bellingcat’s leading position
- Outreach/relations: Develop partnerships with various stakeholders and potential funders in line with Bellingcat’s long-term strategy. Contribute to expanding the Bellingcat community, including building and maintaining close relations with media/journalists, partners, funders and other stakeholders
- Communication: In close consultation with Bellingcat’s founder, pro-actively communicate Bellingcat’s goals, challenges and achievements both internally and externally
- Execution: Together with the Executive board, contribute to further professionalising the organisation and ensuring that Bellingcat’s mission is delivered effectively
- Innovation: Together with our investigators, help advance the future of the open source field by deep involvement in the research topics and methodologies. Optimise the competitive position of the organisation by enticing inventiveness (and forging new partnerships)
Skill Set and Competencies
- Leadership role track record in a growing organisation: from start-up to scale up
- Thorough understanding of open-source research, experience in (citizen) journalism and/or human rights investigations is an asset
- Excellent communication and media skills
- Firm commitment to the values of transparency, accountability and integrity
- Seamlessly integrates into Bellingcat’s unique culture and values, including its flat and participatory structure
- Recognise the joint leadership model of the Executive Board and the prominent role of Bellingcat’s founder
- Driven to see others thrive and succeed
- Affinity with legal matters
- Full verbal and written proficiency in English, working proficiency in (an) other language(s) is a plus
How to apply
An executive search exercise is being undertaken by Perrett Laver, who will support Bellingcat in helping to identify the widest possible field of qualified candidates and assisting in the assessment of candidates against the requirements for the roles.
Applications should consist of a covering letter explaining motivation and qualifications for the position and a full curriculum vitae.
Applications can be uploaded at https://candidates.perrettlaver.com/vacancies/2394/director_of_policy_and_programs/.
Perrett Laver may be contacted for informal enquiries and questions about the post on +31 (0) 20 240 9344 or Rahel.Kessler@perrettlaver.com.
The deadline for applications for this position is 09:00 am (CET) on Monday August 9th 2021.
Perrett Laver will conduct preliminary in-depth discussions with longlisted candidates in August and the selection committee will then meet to decide on a shortlist of candidates at the end September or early October. The formal interviews for the position will take place in September. Selection of and negotiations with the preferred candidate will take place thereafter. Reference checks are a final step of the hiring procedure.
Bellingcat welcomes applications from candidates globally.
Bellingcat is committed to a diverse working environment. All qualified candidates will receive consideration without regard to race, colour, origin, religion, age, gender or sexual orientation. Your formal education is less important to us than your previous work experience in the field.
For more information please open this link