Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology International Summer Internship
Welcome to the MPIIB-ISI!
Do you want to experience cutting-edge research and learn from leading scientists at an internationally renowned institution? Then the International Summer Internship at the Max Planck Institute for Infection Biology is for you!
We offer three-month internships from August to October 2024 for international Bachelor’s and Master’s students. You will receive a stipend (€1,300) covering living expenses in Berlin. Additionally, we will provide travel compensation and accommodation close to the Institute.
The MPIIB-ISI program aims at enabling talented students who have faced or are facing significant difficulties in their scientific education to pursue an academic career. Interns come to Berlin for three months to work on research projects under the supervision of experienced scientists. The internship is paid and covers travel expenses. Students gain access to a leading scientific institution, hands-on research experience, and benefit from the extensive scientific network in Germany’s capital.
The second key feature of the internship is the complementary program. It is designed to equip interns with the necessary soft skills for a successful PhD application. For example, we will offer courses on scientific presentations, how to find a research question, or application training. In addition, the MPIIB-ISI provides the opportunity for excursions to other research institutes in Berlin and other social events. Interns can count on administrative support before and during the internship, especially with the sometimes confusing German public administration.
The MPIIB-ISI program is specifically designed for motivated students who are constrained by personal, financial, regional or societal issues that negatively affect their future education.
The internship is open to students who:
- Are enrolled in a university. Without enrollment, it is not possible to obtain a visa.
- Students who have not yet received their Bachelor’s degree must have completed at least 4 semesters (i.e. 2 years) of their studies at the time of application.
- Have a strong academic record.
- Have a background in a field relevant to the proposed projects (e.g. biology, medicine, biochemistry, epidemiology or any other related field).
- Have a good command of the English language.
- Can express their motivation for both the internship program and the specific project(s) they are applying for.
- Have strong reasons why their access to first-class higher education is constrained.
- Are available for the entire duration of the internship between August 1 and October 31, 2024 (due to visa regulations you cannot extend your stay in the country beyond the duration of the internship).
- Are doing a voluntary internship. We cannot accept interns who need credit points as part of their course requirements.
The Max Planck Society recognizes the positive value of diversity, promotes equality and challenges discrimination. We welcome applications from all suitably qualified candidates regardless of gender, disability, marital or parental status, race, ethnic or social origin, religion or belief, or sexual orientation. We strongly encourage women to apply. Applicants with severe disabilities will be given preferential consideration if their suitability, qualifications, and professional performance are otherwise substantially equivalent. For this program, we strongly encourage applications from students living in low- and middle-income countries.
The selection process consists of three main stages:
- Pre-selection: All applications are evaluated and a shortlist of suitable candidates is compiled.
- Interviews: Shortlisted candidates are invited for an online interview.
- Acceptance: If you are selected following the interview, you will receive an email with your official MPIIB-ISI offer letter.
- October 9, 2023: Call for application starts
- November 26, 2023: Application deadline
- December 2023: Evaluation and compilation of shortlist
- January 2024: Interviews of shortlisted candidates
- February, 2024: Final selection and commitments
- August 1, 2024: Begin of internship
- October 31, 2024: End of internship
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to provide individual feedback to applicants. If you have not been contacted by March 01, 2024 after submitting your application, you may assume that your application has not been retained. Please check your spam folder regularly.
For more information please open this link