CAREERS AT DREXEL
Drexel University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, welcomes individuals from diverse backgrounds and perspectives, and believes that an inclusive and respectful environment enriches the University community and the educational and employment experience of its members. The University prohibits discrimination against individuals on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, disability, age, status as a veteran or special disabled veteran, gender identity or expression, genetic information, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions and any other prohibited characteristic. Please visit our Policies page to view all University policies related to Human Resources and News and Announcements for workplace postings. Background investigations are required for all new hires as a condition of employment, after the job offer is made. Employment may not begin until the University accepts the results of the background investigation.
POST DOCTORAL RESEARCHER
Job no: 495946
Work type: Full-Time
Location: Center City – Philadelphia, PA
Categories: College of Nursing and Health Professions, Drexel University
Drexel is a comprehensive global research university ranked among the top 100 in the nation. With over 24,000 students, Drexel is one of America’s 15 largest private universities. Drexel is one of Philadelphia’s top 10 private employers, and a major engine for economic development in the region. Drexel has committed to being the nation’s most civically engaged university, with community partnerships integrated into every aspect of service and academics.
The College of Nursing and Health Professions at Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA seeks candidates for postdoctoral research fellowships. Postdoctoral fellows will join interprofessional teams engaged in clinical and community-based research to impact health and wellness of individuals and communities. Research programs within the College utilize biopsychosocial models, innovative designs and approaches including engagement of stakeholders in the research process. There is a strong interest in aging and dementia, health disparities, community health and prevention; health care quality, prevention-based interventions, and implementation science.
The initial appointment will be for one year, with the potential for funding to be extended a second year. Decisions regarding fellowship extensions will be based on scholarly productivity, mid-year and year-end progress reports, and availability of resources. The position provides salary and benefits consistent with NIH postdoctoral fellows.
Communication with a potential mentor is encouraged prior to submitting an application.
• Personal Statement
The statement should be 2-3 pages double spaced and include:
o Career objectives/research goals
o Specific research interest
o Potential mentor
o Plans for the fellowship, including the knowledge, skills, and competencies the applicant seeks to obtain
• Curriculum Vitae
• Three (3) letters of recommendation
• Official Transcript from PhD program
Questions about application procedures should be directed to: Darin Dunston 267-359-5927 email@example.com
Please submit all materials as a single PDF document to: Darin Dunston firstname.lastname@example.org
Opportunities for Fellowships exist in the following research programs:
- Aging and behavioral interventions (Dr. Rose Ann DiMaria-Ghalili email@example.com, Dr. Laura N. Gitlin) Post-doctoral fellows will have the opportunity to participate in and contribute to impactful use-inspired interdisciplinary aging research in the thematic areas of high relevance to older adults, their families, healthcare and payment systems, communities and policy makers. Thematic areas include: preventing and managing chronic conditions, enhancing active and purposeful living, enabling aging in place in home and communities; family caregiving; dementia care; implementation science.
- Food for Health (Dr. Jonathan Deutsch firstname.lastname@example.org, Dr. Brandy-Joe Milliron email@example.com) Food for Health centers on interprofessional collaboration and integrates research and practice in nutrition, culinary arts, and food technology for disease prevention, management and healthy recovery. The postdoctoral fellow will work at the intersection of food and health to better understand the socio-cultural aspects of food and nutrition: challenges, desires, and lifestyles of individuals with diverse health conditions. That understanding translates to interventions that can be tested and scaled, including education, messaging, food systems design and the development of novel food products that can assist in achieving health outcomes. Emotional outcomes and social cohesion for people with chronic conditions and their caregivers, families and communities is another through-line of our Food for Health research.
- Integrative Nutrition Interventions (Dr. Deeptha Sukumar, firstname.lastname@example.org) The post-doctoral fellow will engage in understanding the role of nutrition in influencing cardiometabolic, bone and psychosocial health. They will participate in integrative nutrition interventions, clinical trials, wet lab activities, acquire grant preparation skills, data analysis, as well as co-author and publish scholarly articles.
- Biopsychosocial factors for community engagement in individuals with newly acquired mobility impairments (Dr. Margaret Finley, email@example.com) Post-doctoral fellows will participate in and contribute to impactful interdisciplinary mixed methods research aimed at mitigation of secondary conditions in persons with chronic health conditions, impairments, activity, and participation limitations. Specifically, our ongoing work is in the development of interventions and physical activity programs to reduce pain interference, enhance psychological and social well-being, and foster community engagement in individuals with newly acquired mobility impairments. Post-doctoral fellow opportunities include clinical trial development, implementation of research activities and study management, acquisition of scholarly writing and grant preparation skills.
- Each fellow is appointed a faculty mentor. Postdoctoral research fellows will work with research teams on existing or newly developed research projects. They assist with grant proposals, data management and analysis; preparation of manuscripts, and conference presentations. Fellows are mentored for leadership roles on interprofessional research teams. Fellows have access to faculty and college resources, are provided opportunities to publish, and are supported to conduct their own research including assistance with grant-writing or project planning for the next stage of their research careers. An individualized plan is developed to achieve the knowledge, skills, and competencies needed to become a successful independent investigator.
- PhD or Doctorate
- Related experience or education requirement
- Fellowships are open to eligible US citizen and international applicants. Minority and women applicants are encouraged to apply.
- Commitment to a research career.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills, and the proven ability to liaise with key stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently and be proactive and innovative.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills, including the ability to prioritize a range of tasks and meet deadlines.
- A willingness to learn, be a collaborative team member.
Center City, Philadelphia, PA
This position is classified as Exempt with a salary grade of I. For more information regarding Drexel’s Professional Staff salary structure, https://drexel.edu/hr/career/ducomp/salstructure/
Special Instructions to the Applicant
Please make sure you upload your CV/resume and cover letter when submitting your application.
Review of applicants will begin once a suitable candidate pool is identified.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time
For more information please open this link