SEARCA’s Graduate Study Program was initiated in School Year 1968/1969. Over five decades, the scope of the Graduate Study Program has expanded to include institutional development, networking, and services to enhance graduate education in the region.
Through the years, SEARCA has sustained partnerships with international education networks and continues to promote new collaborations with industries and government agencies.
SEARCA established the PhD Research Scholarship on November 2005 to provide financial support for qualified PhD students to conduct research and produce their dissertation relevant to the priority thrusts of SEARCA.
By the end of Academic Year 2020-2021, SEARCA has granted a total of 1,753 full MS/PhD scholarships and 100 PhD Research scholarships to nationals of SEAMEO member countries, namely: Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor Leste, and Vietnam to pursue advanced studies leading to master’s and doctoral degrees in agriculture, forestry, and related sciences.
SEARCA follows a set of general eligibility criteria across all scholarships unless indicated otherwise under a specific scholarship program:
- Open to nationals of SEAMEO member countries who are regular employees of academic or research institutions or government agencies;
- Must not be more than 35 (Master’s Degree) or 40 (PhD) years of age at the time of application;
- Areas of specialization that scholarship applicants must pursue should be in agriculture or related sciences. Check the joint scholarship programs to determine the specific degree/s eligible for support.
- Proposed thesis research should focus on SEARCA’s overarching theme of Accelerating Transformation Through Agricultural Innovation (ATTAIN) with the following priority areas:
- Agri-Business Models for Increased Productivity and Income
- Sustainable Farming Systems and Natural Resource Management
- Food and Nutrition Security
- Transformational Leadership for Agricultural and Rural Development (ARD)
- Gender and Youth Engagement in ARD
- Enhanced ARD towards Climate Resilience
- EcoHealth/One Health Applications to ARD
For joint scholarships, benefits granted to scholars are shared by SEARCA and the funding agency/institution. These include, but are not limited to:
- Tuition and other school fees
- Travel allowance
- Thesis/dissertation support
- Book and supplies allowance
- Health insurance
- Stipend for food, lodging, and incidental expenses
For the PhD Research Scholarship, SEARCA provides a maximum support of USD 4,500 for research purposes.
The universities which may serve as study posts for Master’s and PhD scholars vary depending on the specific joint scholarship projects. Visit the joint scholarship pages to know which universities in the table below may accommodate scholars under the specific scholarship project.
|Institut Pertanian Bogor (IPB)||Bogor, Indonesia|
|Universitas Brawijaya (UB)||Malang, Indonesia|
|Universitas Gadjah Mada (UGM)||Yogyakarta, Indonesia|
|Kasetsart University (KU)||Bangkok, Thailand|
|Universiti Putra Malaysia (UPM)||Serdang, Selangor, Malaysia|
|University of the Philippines Los Baños (UPLB)||Los Baños, Laguna, Philippines|
|Sejong University||Seoul, South Korea|
|Tokyo University of Agriculture||Tokyo, Japan|
|National Taiwan University||Taipei, Taiwan|
The PhD Research Scholarship allows Southeast Asian nationals from any reputable higher education institutions in the world to apply.
Applicants must fill out online the SEARCA Scholarship Application Form and choose the specific scholarship program/s they will pursue. Required documents vary for each scholarship program and are required to be in English or with official English translations.
Application procedure after filling out the online application form and uploading the required documents vary per scholarship. Check the online application guide to learn more about navigating the online application portal. Visit the specific scholarship page for the detailed application procedure and requirements.
Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture (SEARCA)
College, Los Baños, 4031 Laguna, Philippines
Tel: +63 49 554 9330 to 39; +63 49 536 2290; +63 49 572 3743; +63 2 8657 1300 to 02 local 2200 to 2203
Fax: +63 49 536 7097
For more information please open this link