Position: External Communications Lead
Location: Penang, Malaysia (remote at first with option to relocate in 2021/2022)
Application Deadline: 31 August 2021
Post level: Internationally Recruited Staff
Type of contract: 3 years, fixed-term contract
Language(s) required: English (native/fluent writing and oral skills)
WorldFish is an international, non-for-profit research organization that works to reduce hunger, malnutrition and poverty by improving fisheries and aquaculture. With a 45-years track record of leading-edge science, WorldFish generates research evidence and innovations to inform sustainable practices and inclusive policies that enable better livelihoods and healthier diets for millions of poor people, particularly women, who depend on fish for food, nutrition and income. WorldFish is a member of CGIAR, the world’s largest global partnership on agriculture research and innovation for a food secure future. Headquartered in Penang, Malaysia and with regional offices across Africa, Asia and the Pacific, WorldFish leads the cross-disciplinary CGIAR Research Program (CRP) on Fish Agri-Food Systems (FISH).
ABOUT THE POSITION
We are looking for an enthusiastic and results-driven External Communication Specialist to join our busy and dynamic Department of Strategy, Innovation and Communications at the WorldFish headquarters. If you are passionate about working with world-class scientists and engaging with different policymakers, donors and development practitioners to inform and influence the global sustainable development agenda – through scientific evidence and innovative solutions – on issues as diverse as climate change, sustainable ocean governance and inclusive blue growth, food and nutrition security, poverty and livelihoods, gender equality and environmental sustainability, then this is the job for you.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Strategy, Innovation and Communications working closely with the Office of the Director General, you will be responsible for creating and implementing bold, innovative outreach and communications activities to build and consolidate WorldFish’s position and image as a trusted thought leader and maximize the outreach and impact of its research work and innovations. Your main responsibilities will focus on:
1) Content development and implementation;
2) Engagement of target audiences and stakeholders through innovative outreach and strategic communication events and activities;
3) Public and media relations, and;
4) Learning and innovation for improving processes and results of the outreach and strategic communications effort.
You must have a strong foundation in all aspects of outreach and strategic communications, reflected in your experience with strategic planning, development and implementation of complex communication activities, including high-level events. Moreover, you are a digital native with experience working both strategically and tactically with different digital tools – ideally applying omni-channel approaches. You love to think and plan strategically, and more so you to get going with effective execution. You understand what it takes to create messaging and design processes that engage target audiences. You can grasp complex concepts and structures quickly and can think on your feet. Excellent customer service and relations come naturally to you, and your top-notch interpersonal skills enable you to work well with different people, as well as inspire and motivate them. Most importantly, you are structured and well-organized, and able to handle multiple issues and shifting priorities with ease.
This is a challenging and exciting role for a stellar communicator with strong writing skills, excellent public relations experience and the incurable intellectual curiosity to always learn and push yourself outside of the comfort zone. You must be passionate about science and communications and have a knack for seizing opportunities. You have a proven ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects and people across different regions and time-zones, as well different functions and disciplines.
You will be willing to work sometimes outside of designated working hours to allow for the collaboration with colleagues located in different international time zones.
Your results-driven work ethic and your approach to constant learning and innovation sets the bar for others to deliver high-quality results time and again. You have a flair for bringing out the best in multidisciplinary teams operating in complex research programs and the multicultural setting of an international organization, and more importantly you know how to build trust, enable effective teamwork and exceed the expectations of key customers, audiences and partners of WorldFish.
To find out more about the role, please check out the full job description here before applying.
- A minimum of 10 years of progressive experience in media and communications, preferably internationally, and experience with a range of strategic communications tools and techniques.
- An advanced degree in communications, journalism, marketing, public relations, or a related discipline.
- A master’s degree in communications, journalism, international relations, environmental science and/or a related discipline.
- Previous working experience of relevance for this position within a research institute, development agency, corporate or international organization, and interacting with public, private and philanthropic stakeholders.
- At least 10 years of demonstrated professional experience in planning, implementing and evaluating complex outreach and strategic communications activities for a regional or global organization, operating in the research, policy or development sector.
- In-depth understanding of key issues related to the global agricultural research agenda (especially in relation to fisheries, aquaculture, blue economy and the ocean space), the 2030 Sustainable Development goals, and developing country priorities, as well as understanding of the policy, advocacy and innovation environment.
- Superb and compelling writing and presentation skills in English. Good command of other language is an asset.
- A strong creative writer with a flair for narrative and storytelling and proven ability to digest, critically analyze and present complex information clearly, concisely and compellingly in a wide variety of formats to non-scientific audiences.
- Have a proven strong understanding of how media works, and experience with traditional (print, press, TV, Radio, etc.), digital communications and outreach tools and channels (websites, blogs, campaigns, video, multimedia etc.) and social media outlets (e.g., Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Flickr, Instagram, YouTube).
- Proven ability to work well under pressure with diverse teams scattered across different time zones and geographies, and to manage complex content production processes and schedules.
- Demonstrated ability to design, lead and effectively implement complex Communication Campaigns and events (face-to-face and virtual) for diverse global audiences.
- Marketing experience, in terms of both product and service development, across traditional and digital platforms is considered a strong asset.
- Established international media contacts and relations.
- Experience of successfully operating in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds, disciplines and cultures.
- Superior leadership, intellectual quickness, creativity, curiosity, discipline and resourcefulness, and keen attention to details.
- Proven experience in developing, mentoring and managing successful teams (face-to-face and virtually).
- Tolerance of ambiguity, a learning mindset, and high resilience and adaptability.
- Experience with CMS (Drupal), CRM (Salesforce), web analytics (Google Analytics), and social media management tools preferred.
This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position and WorldFish offers a competitive remuneration package including comprehensive benefits including (but not limited to) housing allowance*, relocation and repatriation assistance*, dependent education allowance*, home leave entitlement*, comprehensive insurance coverage for staff and eligible dependents, and pension/provident fund contribution.
Note: Items marked * are not applicable to staff recruited as Home Country Internationals (nationals of the country of posting). All benefits are subject to terms and conditions.
The position will be remotely based and the successful candidate will be expected to relocate to Penang, Malaysia by end of 2021 or early 2022. Shortlisted candidates will be asked to take a written test and interviews will be held in September 2021. The successful candidate should be ideally available to commence as soon as possible and preferably within one month of receiving the offer. The position will be contracted for three (3) years fixed-term contract, with a high probability of contract renewal depending on performance and funding availability. Due to the high volume of applicants for WorldFish positions, we appreciate all interest, but only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
How to Apply
Interested applicants are invited to submit the following information online here latest by 31 August 2021:
- A cover letter including a 2-page (max) description of why you are an ideal candidate and what you would bring to the role;
- A current curriculum vitae;
- Names and contacts (telephone and e-mail addresses) of three professional referees who are familiar with your qualifications and work experience. Your nominated referees ideally should have persons from each of the following category: direct supervisor, internal peer and/or direct report. None of referees will be contacted without your permission and only if the role is offered.
Screening will start immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Due to the high volume of applicants for World Fish positions, we appreciate all interest, but only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Our Gender, Diversity and Inclusion Commitment
WorldFish has seven offices across Asia, Africa and the Pacific, with more than 400 staff and 27 nationalities who contribute to a dynamic multicultural work environment.
WorldFish is committed to promoting a work environment where diversity and inclusion is valued and we seek to have gender balance in the organization. We aim to also seek balance across other diversity dimensions.
People in WorldFish are treated equally irrespective of gender, ethnicity/race, national or social origin, disability, religion, political affiliation, age, family size, marital status or any other form of personal identity.
We are an equal opportunities employer and strongly encourage qualified women and men from developing nations to apply