Deadline for applications: 5 September 2021.
Caritas Europa (CE) is the network of 49 organisations from 46 European countries. It is one of the seven regions of Caritas Internationalis, a confederation of 165 Catholic relief, development and social service organisations. Our vision is of a civilisation of love and justice where every human person can flourish and live in peace and dignity as part of one human family. Caritas Europa has a heartfelt commitment to analyse and fight poverty and social exclusion and to promote true integral human development, social justice, and sustainable social systems in Europe and throughout the world. Caritas Europa advocates for, and with, people in need to transform society into a more just and inclusive civilisation. Caritas Europa recognises the need for mutual learning and innovation in all we do.
With a view to further develop its work on communication, Caritas Europa is seeking to recruit a
(full-time, permanent contract)
We are looking for a pro-active communicator who:
• Reinforces the Caritas Europa image and messages towards the European Institutions and European media, supporting the implementation of the Caritas Europa Strategic Framework 2021-2028;
• Reinforces the knowledge and understanding of the European dimension in the Caritas work among its member organisations;
• Based on previous experience and knowledge, improves the visibility of Caritas Europa and reinforces its communications and messaging.
• Implement the communications-related components of the Caritas Europa Annual Work Plan.
• Support the development and implementation of Caritas Europa’s communication strategy and the communications-related components of the fundraising strategy.
• Perform press/media communications by:
• Creating narratives, news stories and articles that contribute to enhancing Caritas Europa’s vision.
• Writing/editing press releases, press briefings and opinion pieces to pitch and get published by media.
• Organising press conferences and interviews, and handling media enquiries.
• Establishing and maintaining fruitful relationships with the media.
• Curating Caritas Europa’s social media channels.
• Contributing to the development and maintenance of the Caritas Europa website and microsites, particularly the ‘News’ section.
• Monitoring and assessing Caritas Europa’s media coverage.
• Develop targeted communication actions that boost the impact of Caritas Europa’s advocacy and policy activities vis-à-vis primarily the European Institutions.
• Promote and cover Caritas Europa’s politically relevant public events via various communication channels.
• Ensure effective and timely internal communication to the Caritas Europa network. caritas europa is the network of Caritas organisations on the European continent – http://www.caritas.eu
• Under the guidance of the Senior Communication Officer, advise the Caritas Europa secretariat in terms of external communication, assessing and ensuring the quality of the external presence and visibility of Caritas Europa.
• Liaise with relevant faith-based organisations and civil society partners towards achieving joint communication objectives.
• Participate in unit and team meetings and inform the units and team on progress in fields of work, coordinating inputs where appropriate.
• Provide support and help in communication-related activities of the CE-Secretariat.
• Support and participate in relevant Caritas Europa events.
• Assume any other responsibility or task that might be necessary to the achievement of the strategic outcomes or specific tasks related to the adequate functioning of the organisation.
The main place of work is Brussels. Regular teleworking is possible. The work also entails travel to other countries. The Media Officer, as part of the Communication Unit, reports directly to the Secretary General of Caritas Europa.
• University education and/or equivalent relevant experience, preferably in a field relevant to the function, such as journalism, communication sciences or similar.
• Relevant press/media experience within an NGO, agency, EU Institution or national ministry.
• Knowledge of political communication and European affairs, and how communication can be used for impact.
• Excellent English language skills: proficient writer with a keen eye for grammar, style and tone. Good command of French and/or German as well as other European languages would be an asset.
• Experience in media processes and an existing network of media contacts.
• Experience in community management and use of social media.
• Good knowledge of Microsoft Office package and CMS, especially WordPress. Knowledge of Adobe package an advantage.
• Understanding of and commitment to the principles of Catholic Social Teaching, in which Caritas’ work is firmly rooted.
• Understanding of an ‘accompanying attitude’ towards member organisations.
• Experience in Caritas or other Church organisations would be an asset.
• Presentation, facilitation and networking skills.
• Organisational, communication, interpersonal, linguistic and diplomatic skills.
• Innovative thinker with creative ideas to streamline Caritas Europa’s media outputs.
• Possesses flexibility and shows initiative.
Caritas Europa is committed to diversity, equal opportunities and non-discrimination.
Starting date: Asap
We offer a challenging experience in Brussels with the possibility to make a difference for people experiencing poverty or marginalisation, or who are in situations of vulnerability, and to contribute to the development of the European Caritas network, working in an international team.
We offer a full-time permanent contract in line with our salary scheme and with extra-legal benefits (hospitalisation and pension insurance, lunch vouchers, contribution to public transport).
Please submit a motivation letter (max one page), CV and an unedited example of written work (max one page) by 5 September 2021, 23:59 Brussels time to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org, mentioning in the subject ‘CV Media Officer’. Links to portfolios and published work are also appreciated, but not obligatory.
We thank all candidates in advance who show their interest in this offer. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. The first round of interviews will be held third week of September. The second round of interviews will be carried out shortly after. Prospective candidates may also be asked to carry out a written assignment in English as part of the selection procedure.
Caritas Europa is committed to safeguarding people from exploitation and abuse in its work and has specific policies on this commitment which outline the expected behavior and the responsibility of all staff. We follow safe recruitment practices according to our safeguarding policies.
Any candidate offered a job within Caritas Europa will be expected to sign the Code of Conduct as an appendix to their contract and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with its provisions.
Tel: +32 (0)2 280 02 80