International Rehabilitation Council for Torture Victims (IRCT) Brussels
IRCT is the leading global association on torture rehabilitation with 161 members in 75 countries and coordinates the collective global work of the membership. We are based in Copenhagen with an office in Brussels and staff in Mexico and the US.
You will be joining the advocacy team. We are a small high performing team of professionals working independently but with a strong focus on supporting and challenging each other to perform with excellence and continue to grow. If you join our team, you will get the unique opportunity to work with frontline health and human rights organisations in 75 countries to help them increase their impact in regional and global human rights discourse and dialogues.
You have a passion for human rights and working to support survivors of human rights violations, and experience in engaging with EU, UN and/or ACHPPR institutions. We are more interested in your skills and ambitions than your years of experience.
The position focusses on two outcome areas of our global strategy – improved laws and policies and stronger advocacy capacity and tools. Your key work tasks include
- Lead the implementation of IRCT advocacy towards EU institutions with a specific focus on EU foreign policy pertaining to human rights and torture as well as funding for anti-torture work in- and outside the EU
- Represent the IRCT in meetings with EU institutions, and Brussels based civil society networks
- Support IRCT members to engage with EU human rights dialogues pertaining to their own countries
- Represent the IRCT at meetings with EU institutions, embassies, and civil society partners in Brussels
- Lead IRCT advocacy and engagement with the African Commission on Human and Peoples Rights and in particular the Committee on Prevention of Torture in Africa (CPTA)
- Support IRCT members to engage with the UN Committee against Torture and Universal Periodic Review (UPR) state review processes pertaining to their own countries
- Support IRCT member organisations to develop their understanding of and capacity to engage and influence EU institutions in Brussels and in their respective countries
For this we expect you to have strong skills in advocacy and legal and policy analysis with experience in working at the global level. You are an excellent communicator in English, speak French and preferably other languages. Other languages are an asset. You know how to address different stakeholders at different levels, enjoy direct contact and are not shy to pick up the phone. You also navigate comfortably in a remote working environment across time zones and cultures and can work independently and know when to seek out guidance. With your strong planning and organisational skills, you can prioritise and multi-task.
We encourage applications from all cultures and backgrounds because we believe that increasing the diversity of our team will help us achieve more together.
Terms of employment:
The position is a full-time position based at IRCT’s office in Brussels. It is required that you have a Belgian work permit for the position. It is desired that you can start working as soon as possible.
How to apply:
Please send your CV and a letter of motivation in English explaining why you want this job. The application deadline is 20 February 2022. Interviews will take place on 23 February 2022 in the afternoon (CET), and you will be asked to prepare a writing sample for the interview.
To submit your application, please use the application button on this site. We do not accept applications sent by e-mail.
Should you have any questions regarding this position, please contact Asger Kjærum – email@example.com. If you want to know more about the IRCT, please visit www.irct.org.