About the European Climate Foundation
The European Climate Foundation (ECF) is a major philanthropic initiative working to help tackle the climate crisis by fostering the development of a net-zero emission society at the national, European and global level.
We support over 1000 partner organisations to carry out activities that drive urgent and ambitious policy in support of the objectives of the Paris Agreement, contribute to the public debate on climate action and help deliver a socially responsible transition to a net-zero economy and sustainable society in Europe and around the world.
The ECF brings together diverse perspectives and backgrounds to find the best, most innovative solutions to tackle climate change. We are focusing on engaging and hiring great people from a wide diversity of backgrounds to strengthen the cause. If you share our values of respect, innovation, and collaboration, join us.
Context of the role
The European Green Deal has the potential to be a key driver for global climate action. With around 90% of global emissions being covered by net-zero goals, there is a clear demand and willingness for countries to decarbonise. This results in a high demand for proven, cost-efficient and socially acceptable policies to guide transition. That’s what the EU can offer with its Green Deal. The EU can be considered a pioneer and frontrunner with the proven track-record to set international “gold standards” through the “Brussels effect”. In addition, the EU can use its market, trade and financial power to accelerate transition in other countries, if it becomes a focus for diplomacy and cooperation.
The ECF has established a programme on EU Green Deal diplomacy with time-bound campaign objectives, budget, work streams and close interactions with a range of other teams in the organisation. The strategy is getting implemented with a wide range of partners in civil society, think tanks, politics, business and governments. Key geographies include: the US, China, India, Africa and the Mercosur region.
The role will involve interaction with other ECF international platforms (International Climate Politics Hub, 2050 Pathway Platform, International Energy) and global campaigns (Fossil Free Energy, Target True Zero), as well as ECF activities in Europe (organized by country, sector) and the Strategic Communications department.
The Senior Associate EU Green Deal diplomacy reports to the Director for European Green Deal Diplomacy and Trade and works closely with the second Senior Associate in the team.
This job offers an excellent opportunity to engage with and support an emerging ECF priority at an important stage in global climate diplomacy.
The post holder will play a key role in providing strategic advice, dealing with grant management, and monitoring and evaluating the progress of different work streams. There will be direct engagement with policymakers in the EU institutions, other ECF programmes including the International Climate Politics Hub as well as partners and funders in designing and aligning strategies.
The Senior Associate will be responsible for:
- Grant-making: developing the scope of work in line with the strategy; soliciting and validating proposals from potential partners; drafting recommendations for the consideration of the ECF board and our donors
- Internal coordination and communication: liaising with ECF’s other programme teams, platforms and communications teams to ensure proper and timely dissemination of information, and consistency and complementarity of different projects and work streams.
- Networking: building partnerships with key individuals across the policymaking, business and civil society communities or movements in Brussels and across the EU
- Research activities & prospecting: supporting the Director in scoping the landscape around bilateral engagement of the EU, thematic cooperation and EU’s impact in the world, or cross-cutting projects with other teams in the organisation, as well as identifying potential new projects and grantees
- Green Deal Diplomacy Strategy: supporting setting up the strategy on Green Deal diplomacy, related priorities and budgets; co-developing and implementing strategies with our network of grantees and partners; monitoring and evaluating progress and impact of initiatives and grants; and acting as a liaison to report regular progress to donors
- Project management: contributing to ECF’s overall strategy on Green Deal diplomacy, ensuring synergies and alignment across different strands of work.
Experience and competencies
The following attributes are sought by applicants:
- Genuine interest in the mission and values of the organisation;
- 5-8 years’ experience, preferably in grant-making and philanthropic activities;
- Knowledge of the EU’s role at the international level and understanding of climate diplomacy as well as the political challenges to making progress with deeper emission reductions is an asset;
- Structured, driven and able to manage many processes simultaneously;
- Proven track record of working in an environment that demands professionalism, discretion and confidentiality;
- An independent self-starter able to work on his/her own as well as part of a team;
- Enthusiastic personality, with a positive, can-do attitude;
- Strong network and networking skills that enable effective collaboration with a diverse group of partners;
- Agile leader, with the ability to follow through with smart and adaptive implementation of plans;
- Excellent collaboration and influencing skills;
- Very strong verbal, written and presentational skills in English, other EU languages are an asset.
What we offer
- The unique opportunity to work as part of a highly dynamic, international group of individuals who combine their passion to make a difference with a rigorous and results-oriented approach to work;
- A flexible work environment and a space to develop and challenge yourself;
- A full-time 1 year fixed-term contract with possibility to be extended.
Brussels, Paris or Berlin would be preferred locations, but other ECF office locations are also possible. The role includes travel as required.
As soon as possible
How to apply
Please submit your CV and a short cover letter (both in English) via the Cezanne interface.
Candidates need to be in the possession of a work permit for the work location in case applicable.