Available for Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia
In a world facing urgent and significant human, social and environmental challenges, we know that there are many people who want to contribute to positive fundamental change.
Being part of the ‘sustainability transformation’ is one way that individuals can make a real difference – for businesses, communities and for the planet. We invite ambitious and innovative leaders from Africa who want to learn how to bridge the gap between desire and action on sustainability to join us as part of the Swedish Institute Management Programme 2022, and work in collaboration with like-minded people in their region, to help tackle these challenges, and lead their businesses to success through sustainable business practices. Because the speed and scale of change that the world desperately needs cannot be achieved in isolation.
Recognising the significance of this global challenge, the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) have been set up to define global priorities and aspirations before the year 2030. The business community plays a critical role in the implementation of the SDGs and in creating a better future for all.
At the Swedish Institute, we have created unique development programme which brings together people from different African countries in an enhanced collaborative environment, where they can co-create solutions between business and other sector organisations in your country which have a genuine chance of success.
The Swedish Institute Management Programme (SIMP) offers you proven tools and knowledge from experts who can help you to put sustainability at the heart of your strategy and take your leadership to the next level. The programme is based on Sweden’s prominent position in innovation and sustainable business – and its connection to the global economy.
A core outcome of the programme is for every participant to develop and implement an action-oriented sustainability challenge. You will formulate it based on the needs of your organisation and its stakeholders.
The programme runs online and at local conference venues* between May 2022 – February 2023. It includes coaching, interactive workshops and lectures, as well as meetings with representatives from companies and organisations in Sweden. SIMP is a challenging and interactive programme that requires your active participation and contribution. It is not a series of one-way lectures.
*If the pandemic situation allows.
What will the programme give you?
- In-depth knowledge and skills about sustainable business practices with a focus on human rights, climate and the environment, decent working conditions and anti-corruption.
- Capacity and knowledge to lead change and promote sustainable business practices in your own organisation.
- Insights into business cases for sustainability in Sweden, one of the leading countries in sustainable business practice.
- Knowledge to let you work with design thinking as a method to develop creative and sustainable solutions to complex problems.
- Customised expert coaching based on your organisation’s and your own personal needs.
- A unique opportunity of close collaboration and exchange with colleagues at your own level from several other countries, developing strong, long-lasting professional networks.
- Access to the global Swedish Institute alumni network with leaders who are committed to sustainable business and responsible leadership.
Who can apply?
If you are highly motivated to run your business in a sustainable way and promote sustainable business practices in your country; and you also have the mandate to drive have the mandate to drive strategies throughout your business – then the answer is you!
- You are a citizen and resident of Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda or Zambia.
- You are between 25 and 50 years old (born 1971–1996).
- You have an entrepreneurial mindset and a track record of making things happen.
- You are willing to support and share your experience and knowledge with other participants.
- You have a high level proficiency in both written and spoken English.
- You have a post-secondaryeducation.
We are looking for business leaders who are already CEO´s or senior managers of small or medium–sized enterprises, or managers of a significant and distinct department of a large enterprise, who have responsibility for the profits of their business.
Does this sound like you? If so, you can Apply NOW! Or read on for more details on the programme below.
Programme structure, format and timeline
SIMP Africa 2022 takes place from May 2022 to February 2023. The programme is mainly focused into three modules which will take place in May, June,September/October and February 2023. Each module lasts between three to eight weeks and requires approximately one working day per week, including participation in physical meetings at conference venues locally, live online sessions, and engagement with pre-recorded material, group assignments and individual work. In between the modules, you will work on your own sustainability project with the help of expert coaching and group tasks.
Module 1: Tuesdays 7, 14 and 21 June at 9-15 EAT, 8-14 CEST & CAT. This module is scheduled to take place at conference venues in the capitals of each country. If a physical meeting is not possible because of Covid-19 restrictions in a specific country, the programme will be adapted for that country.
Module 2: Thursdays 1, 8, 15, 22 September and 6, 13 and 20 October including a SIMP Global week. If Covid-19 restrictions allow, the second module could also take place at conference venues together with the peers in your country. To take part in the programme you must be able to commit to one full day per week during modules.
Module 3: Thursdays 2, 9, 16 and 23 February at 10-16 EAT, 8-14 CET, 9-15 CAT (Note: Sweden has changed to winter time)
SIMP 2022 will be an online programme, where various digital tools and set-ups will give you a unique, varied and interactive learning experience. The digital format of SIMP enables learning to take place over an extended period, allowing time for reflection as well as the opportunity for continuous work, both individually and together with other participants.
Costs covered and arranged by Swedish Institute
- Training and content
- Conference facilities if the pandemic situation allows for physical meetings in the capital of each country included in Swedish Institute Management Programme Africa.
Create your application online in the application portal. Filling in the application form online takes about 60 min or more and there is no session saving possibility. Kindly have the following ready before starting to fill the application:
- Passport size photo of yourself
- Recommendation letter
Kindly note that CV and photo are mandatory. The recommendation letter is optional; however, it will be an added advantage in the evaluation process. A template for the recommendation letter and desired information to be included in it can be found here.
For any issues regarding the application you can reach out to the recruitment team on email@example.com. Please remember to indicate the country you are applying from.
2. Screening of applications
The applications will be evaluated according to the following selection criteria:
- The relevance and quality of personal motivation, commitment, and the applicant’s answers in the SIMP application form.
- A broad assessment of the suitable experience and qualifications.
- The general qualifications of the applicant.
- The business/organisation’s willingness and readiness to work for sustainable business. It is important that your business/organisation is motivated to implement new learnings from the programme as this is a hands-on programme.
The Swedish Institute will admit 60 applicants chosen from a final shortlist. In the final selection the Swedish Institute will not only look at the individual candidates but will aim to create a group with even distribution between countries, different sectors as well as gender.
For more information please open this link